hull side air intakes

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

g36
Moderate User

hull side air intakes

Post by g36 »

just purchased 1978 f-32 trojan all 4 of the air intakes on the hull sides are pointing forward, knowing this was designed to circulate air in the engine room as the boat is moving it seems there should be at least 2 pointing aft which would allow incoming air a way to be pulled out by the rear facing vents. were they all designed to face forward or has someone changed the direction on them by mistake? any thoughts? i noticed on some trojans for sale on the internet even have them all facing back so just wonder which should be forward and which facing rear?
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

I believe two are supposed to be facing aft and 2 forward. The problem (at least for me and a few others I know of) is that the forward facing vents tend to suck in spray. I beleive this is why you see so many boats with all vents facing aft. I've not seen one with all vents facing forward.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

The front (midship) grills face aft and the rear grills face forward.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Vents Louvre Position

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Do a search on the internet for Sea Mar II which sunk in Lake Michigan possibly due to an incorrect louvre installation which resulted in scooping in large amounts of water in high seas. I believe they discuss a lawsuit pending with Trojan based on a manufacturing error. Obviously with Trojan out of business, the lawyers don't get paid. Too bad for them. But also so sad for the families of the three who perished.

http://www.michiganshipwrecks.org/seamar.htm
obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

Is this why the midship grills were moved up above the gunnels on the later f32s?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

do you have any info on the recall ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
duchess
Sporadic User

intakes

Post by duchess »

Your right they were moved up i would call Marine Tech for further definitive information about the correct location
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

TAD-

thanks for posting that great link- it was quite an interesting read. I'd never heard of that issue but I'm gllad I no longer have the old vent system.
rossjo
Ultimate User

?

Post by rossjo »

The old vents weren't the crtical problem here.

Having only 1 bilge pump, and having it up front was the final blow. This is marginal at the dock (need 2 fore + 2 aft), but totally unacceptable underway. The forward pumps will nver pump the rear out underway, and the boat will take on water (shaft seals, spray, vents, cockpit deck, etc.) and continue to fill until it sinks.

Does ANYONE NOT have rear bilge pumps? I you don't, then remain at the dock until you do!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Bilge pumps

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I have two bilge pumps. One fore and one aft. The fore pump has a large housing that does not allow for all of the water to be pumped out because it sits above the V in the hull. The aft pump works great underway but the fore pump lets too much water sit in the hull when docked and I would like to get all the water out that I can so as not to rot out the stringers or bulkeads. Anyone have suggestion to get all the water out of the bow end?
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

this is my pump configuration. I have 4 total- 1 auto fore, 1 auto aft, 1 emergency high capacity with high water alarm aft and 1 small diameter electric (manually controlled) in the bows low spot to suck the bilge dry. It had to be manually contolled because a float would stop the pump before all the water was sucked out. The only problem with this setup is that there can be some standing water in the bow at rest for the same reason you state. But, it's nice to be able to pump it dry before heading out.
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

i have twp pumps, one fore and one aft. Both on float switches and can be turned on and off manually. Guess I'm lucky but my boat stays dry with the exception of a very small trickle from one rudder seal, and then only when underway..........never enough to run the pump. I occaisonally check them manually but never pump any water.......
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Manual pump

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I think I will install a manual pump to pump the bow end dry by hand occasionally to keep it dry. The shafts do not leak that much so it should stay dry up front for a week if I manually pump it dry. There used to be a manual pump in the starboard locker in the v-berth and there is already a through hull fitting capped off in there so I can just hook up a manual pump and put the suction hose right in the lowest spot to get out the last bit of water.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

JAV I like your vents ( sent PM ) agree on the pumps
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »