Perfect repower pair for F-36

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JuiceClark
Moderate User

Perfect repower pair for F-36

Post by JuiceClark »

If I had more time outside the office, I'd buy this pair of 3116s and repower my boat. I bet they'll sell for less than $25k for the pair. They have the correct 220A gears on them too. Except for changing the gauges, I could drop 'em right in there!

I believe the 3116s are real diesel engines. You know, the kind that have piston sleeves you can replace at 5,000+ hours for an easy rebuild.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pair-of- ... enameZWDVW

Tony
1982 F-36
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

If weight is not a problem you should go for it.

Your vessel will be worth that much more.

RWS
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Just DO it!

;-)
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Tony has been talking about it and dreaming about it for a long, long time.

I suppose the real issue in doing a rebuild or repower is HAVING to do it vs. WANTING to do it.

My 454's were tired, the timing chain on one was really loose as evidenced by the timing light. All of the engine mounts were BAD. 23 years and 2600 plus hours, those 454's were ready to retire as well as all of the attached components, coolers, heat exchangers and hoses.

New 8.1's seemed the way to go until we factored in the necessary costs to upgrade the shafts which were just below the borderline for the 8.1's.

I had already replaced the gas genset with a diesel (certified compliant to operate in a gas environment) in 2003.

These issues put the diesels closer to the new Crusader gas engines in total replacement cost and my "justification" was that the vessel would be worth that difference in cost more when the time comes to sell her.

At least that is how I convinced myself.

Let's see, buy on emotion, justify with facts.....

Tony, don't you think she would be worth AT LEAST 15k more with those engines?

RWS
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

well you have 10 hours left to do it
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
JuiceClark
Moderate User

no can do

Post by JuiceClark »

Well, I don't have the time to screw with it this time of year...all my clients are coming back into town in the next month. I feel bad about it too because the ol' girl really deserves a pair of permanent engines. And $15,000? I can't believe nobody has bid...what a steal! They fit perfectly too and aren't heavy compared to most Cats.

Sad truth is, I've already invested a decent sum with my friend who's about 2/3s done building the mold for a new sportfish based on the 46' Key West #1. I love screwin' around with boats, so this was a chance to be involved right from the beginning. The thing has a 17.5' beam all the way back, a fine entry and is very flat at the transom...perfect for my uses. It won't be done for like 3 years. So, I'm really going to enjoy my F-36 until then.

Tony
1982 F-36
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Tony, are you really the dreamer that your posts make you out to be?

$15k for those engines would change your vessel dramatically.

Like you said, they even have the correct gears and would fit right in.

You've been looking at, and talking about used diesel engines for quite some time on this site.

Now you have the opportunity, why not do it?

It really does make good sense.

10 hours, tick, tick, tick...........

RWS
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

1 hour 20 minites tic tic ..........
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
JuiceClark
Moderate User

nah

Post by JuiceClark »

Nah!! My engines are almost new and running perfectly. Hey, I just posted those so one of you guys could take advantage. See, always thinking of others......TC
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

No bidders, ZERO !

Tony, did you ever resolve the ongoing engine problem you had with the rebuilt 454's last spring ?

The pictures I saw of your F series makes it is one of, no it's the finest F series that I've ever seen. Surely she's worth the investment.

Assuming you sold your old engines/transmissions complete to subsudize the installation costs, new mounts, lines, shift cables, etc, don't you think she would be worth 15-20k more than she is with the gas engines?

Imagine what your increased range and speed would be.

I couldn't be happier with mine.

She now has the power to run the way her hull was designed and the rest of her was constructed.

She has everything over a new Brand X 33' and she has eliminated the biggest cost of boating.

She has ZERO DEPRECIATION !

RWS
JuiceClark
Moderate User

repower

Post by JuiceClark »

Yeah...the problem was the valves weren't right with that engine from the start. They were experiencing blowback and sucking wet exhaust right back into the cylinders. I went to the firm that rebuilt them and made them give me new heads. They've run great since.

With that custom boat being built I have to dig in and not spend anything on my sweet F-36. But I really think it would have been a drop in. The calculator on "Boatdiesel.com" says I would use the exact same props with those diesels and the gears they had on them. Shafts are fine. Those early 3116s had some problems but for a weekend worrior like me would be alright.

Nope...I'm hunkered down into a new project.

TC
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

All of us here are passionate, almost rabid boating enthuasiasts, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Tony, we all hope you'll share some step by step progress and pictures of the development of your new 46'.

This must be an amazing and exciting undertaking for you. I wish you well.

We'd all love to hear more of the details. What kind of power, what kind of layup method will you use, what shaft angles, transmission reductions and prop sizes are you considering ?

Do you plan on using solid bottom hull construction or have you considered a cored type of hull?

So many things to consider, we hope you will share some information as things progress with this project.

Hey, I'm just north of you here in Punta Gorda, perhaps you'll invite me down for a look see and we could have a beer or three.

RWS
JuiceClark
Moderate User

I will

Post by JuiceClark »

I will do so. It is going to be an amazing process. The mold is half done...built with 2" square pipes all welded to two main beams.

The hull will be 7 layers of glass with no core...just like an F-36! The first layer over the gelcoat will be that good resin that doesn't blister but, because 2 interested parties are going to use as head-boats, we have to use the fire retardant resin to meet Coast Guard specs.$$

From the waterline down it's an exact replica of the Key West #1 hull. From there up it gets a bit flashier. Mine will be a single screw and I'm trying to figure how to have an electric motor drive and a nice genny.

The drawings are all being made into CAD design. So, I hope to be able to share some stuff by the end of the year.
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Holy crap

Post by JuiceClark »

Wow...they're giving away marine diesels around here. I like these a lot better than those Cats! I think they're too tall to fit an F-36 though at 37 inches. Maybe not:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JOHN-DEE ... enameZWDVW
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »