Sea strainers for 75 Tri Cabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

75 Tri Cabin

Sea strainers for 75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

I need a picture of how and where they are supposed to be mounted. PO removed them and laid them in the bildge, don't even know if they are the ones. We are on the lake now and will be going to the coast in the fall, if everything goes to plan. I will definely need them there.
Jack
Hartwell Marina, Hartwell GA.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Sea strainers for 75 Tri Cabin

Post by prowlersfish »

Most likely the boat did not come with them . Many ways you could mount them . Can you post a photo of what you have ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

That probably is true then. That is why , maybe, they are just laying in the bilge. Someone might have thought of putting them in. Problem is there is very little space in the engine compartments on the 75 tri cabin model. Well if anyone does have a older tri cabin with them, please send me a picture please.
Jack
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi,

Well, last summer I had my marina install large brass sea strainers and new seacocks in my '74 Tri-Cabin.

I'm in Florida at the moment and will be back home in Canada on March 21st at which point I'll get some photos taken of the installation and upload them to you, if you are still interested.

Essentially, I do not believe that strainers were a stock item, at least they weren't in my fresh water located 1974 Tricabin.

In order to fit the "IN" diameter of strainer, my intake hose was enlarged. Trojan may have installed a smaller than optimum original intake hose in these boats. My intake hoses now loop 180 degrees outboard of both engines and then run into to the strainers which are installed inboard beside the velvet drives.

I need to lift the mattresses and engine covers on both engines in order to check and/or clean out the strainers, but no big deal.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

I have them installed factory.

They are mounted on the outside of the outside stringer. Goes from Seacock to input, output to water pump. I dont have a picture of them. they are graco i want to say with see through plastic containers. Filter comes out the top by unscrewing the center cap.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

Great if you can shoot me some pics when you can. Aweimer are you still coming to Atlanta with the boat? If you are, when you have the boat here, can I come take a look at your sea strainer set up?
Jack