Upgrading F-28 breaker box???

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

moparmel

Upgrading F-28 breaker box???

Post by moparmel »

Hi, I need to upgrade my F-28 breaker box from it's original one. I need
a couple additional outlets. What shoud I use? Is there a direct replacement upgrade that fits in the space? :?:
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

I don't think there is an exact replacement for it. You can find alot of aftermarket upgrades online.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

The original panel that was in my boat was nothing more than a residential box with a plastic face. So when it came time to upgrade it, I looked into replacing it with a marine panel. Nice stuff but very expensive so I chose to use a Siemens residential panel & breakers and added the marine switches and gauge to it that I needed. Looks and works well.

Which ever option you choose for the pannel, be sure to use "marine grade" wire for the extra outlets. Marine grade is made with multi strand wire which bends and flexes easily and takes the abuse it will recieve on a boat. Residential wire is solid copper which can crack from flexing creating a fire hazard.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

It's also good to use a GFI outlets, I know boat surveyers are big on seeing them.
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Try the people at Marine Connection Liquidators http://www.marconlq.biz/
The are in Ft Pierce FL and great to work with. Check out the web, then call with the dimensions and the number of circuits you are looking for. They have sent me back a few pictures to choose from. Lots of their stock is new from discontinued models. I've even found guages to replace in the flybridge that were an exact match to my 73 Trojan!
Mitch
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"