SILVER LINING IS FINALLY HOME

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gettaway
Active User

SILVER LINING IS FINALLY HOME

Post by gettaway »

Hi All,

I have finally moved the Sivlerton 37 to San Diego, with weather and an ongoing fuel issues the move kept getting pushed back and delayed. the weather finally cooperated and I got the boat moved to San Diego, but not without events. I left Mariana Del Rey this past Sunday headed for two harbors Catalina Island to get fuel and set a fuel burn rate, I got just outside of the MDR jetty throttled up to about 1500 rpm and a few seconds later, she shut down ( I had already replaced the fuel pump on the starboard engine the previous weekend due to fact that the pump started to leak though the bypass)
I came back in to the harbor and it would run at idle but not at any higher rpm. Safely back in the slip I removed the Floscan flow meter and changed all of the fuel filters , I did find debris in the carb screen so I thought maybe the flow meter had jammed or plugged

Monday I headed out of MDR at about 6:30 am, she ran fine and off went, she ran ok at about 1500 so I ran that speed for about an hour, I throttled up to 1800 and she almost immediately died, it would restart and die, over and over, so I continued on to the isthmus on one engine. During this time, I removed the fuel hose to the carb, ran some clear hose I bought to a bucket in the cockpit, and cranked and cranked , but never got any fuel to the bucket… figuring the new fuel pump failed. The autopilot works flawlessly by the way

Once moored in Two Harbors, I went ashore and found an electric fuel pump and fitting, I bypassed the mechanical fuel pump and the boat started right up and ran fine (at idle on a mooring) That night (Monday) I woke up remembering stories I had read here at the TOFthat there is supposed to be an anti-siphon valve in a gasoline fuel system to prevent emptying a fuel tank into the bilge by a siphon through the carb. Tuesday morning, I followed the fuel lines to the tank and only found what looked to be an NPT to Compression adapter, I went ahead and removed the fitting anyways, which is buried behind the engine and exhaust hoses and below the floor. When I got it out and look at it, it was the anti-siphon valve and sure enough, it was completely plugged with debris. (see photo) I cleaned it out and the boat ran great for the rest of the trip, so here is a concrete example of a lesson learned on this forum! As you an see, I spent a fair amount of the trip running in low visability and fog, ---RADAR----GPS Plotter AUTO PILOT ....dont leave home without them!

here are a bunch of photos of the trip...

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: SILVER LINING IS FINALLY HOME

Post by prowlersfish »

Graet story and great photos !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Glad to hear you got her home. Sorry you had issues but you did remember and over come the situation. You got back safely and thats what counts. Little buggers just had to be persistent but you showed them! :wink:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
DOUBLE R
Sporadic User

Post by DOUBLE R »

Nice pics. What a memorable trip it must have been.
MY CURENT FLEET

2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 ASHCRAFT 14' SKIFF
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

And you already got a pennant! ;)

Congrats on the new boat.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

congrats! I have had my share of anti siphon valve headaches in the past! My best friend just flew to SanDiego today for a one week business trip. I was telling him how jealous I was and how much I loved SanDiego. Now I'm jealous again!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Glad you made it home safely and thanks for sharing the photos, you have some beautiful scenery out there!
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

rossjo wrote:And you already got a pennant! ;)

Rossjo,

the Pennant is actually our yacht club burgee, Coronado Yacht Club, a gold crown with a blue field. Coronado is nick named the crown city after the Hotel Del Coronado...

thanks for noticing tho...Silverton is still bulding boats , but I cannot seem to find a Silverton Pennant....what is one to do? :D

This boat has two very tall flag poles on it, I need to fly something on them..(outriggers)
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Glad to see you made it safe and sound ! Now your fun begins :D

Getaway said
This boat has two very tall flag poles on it, I need to fly something on them..(outriggers)

I knew those things aren't for fishing, Those fishing boat guys always try say the use them for fishing ! But I always see flags on them :mrgreen:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

alexander38 wrote:Glad to see you made it safe and sound ! Now your fun begins :D

Getaway said

I knew those things aren't for fishing, Those fishing boat guys always try say the use them for fishing ! But I always see flags on them :mrgreen:

Flags attract fish .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

gettaway wrote:
rossjo wrote:And you already got a pennant! ;)

Rossjo,

the Pennant is actually our yacht club burgee, Coronado Yacht Club, a gold crown with a blue field. Coronado is nick named the crown city after the Hotel Del Coronado...

thanks for noticing tho...Silverton is still bulding boats , but I cannot seem to find a Silverton Pennant....what is one to do? :D

Yes - been to the hotel - nice place!

Silverton filed for bankruptcy last year - hope they make it.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

rossjo wrote:
Silverton filed for bankruptcy last year - hope they make it.
It appears that Egg Harbor bought Silverton and Ovation, the Silverton website is up and they are showing at boat shows, so they nay have survived one more round of attacks by the economy, taxes, fuel prices and regulations...

If you are ever back at the Del, you must let me know, the club is right across the street !
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Will do - don't get the Cali often any more - step brother is on Newport Beach.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

HI All,

I thought Id post a few non Trojan update photos, the Silverton is turning out to be a pretty decent boat the more I get to know it. as with any boat or at least production boats, there are some details I find lacking, like the fuzzy hull liner...blah
but she is definately built heavily, and has very solid feel.

Transom with PO name removed

teak swim platform

New name on the transom, and yes, we perfomed the de-naming and renaming ceremony

photos when I was at Catalina Island on the way down

one of our dock residents

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Looks great Scott.. :D
Doug

1977 F-32