10 Meter Questions

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

10 Meter Questions

Post by yorklyn »

Hello,
I have a 1987 10 meter mid cabin that I'm just starting to redo and I had a few questions that I was trying to get some help with. I just had the boat trucked to my warehouse. I am going to go over the entire boat and essentially redo everything. I was wondering If anyone has done a diesel swap on a 10 meter mid cabin, if so how difficult was it, what kind of engines and are you happy with the swap? Next question, Does anyone have a solution to stopping the *!$&@ plexiglass skylights from leaking? When I bought the boat the previous owner had 30 to 40 screws securing the plexiglass in. I did some research and was told the skylights came from the factory with no fasteners just caulk holding them in. I purchased 1/2 inch plexi and made two new hatches, bedded them in with marine silcone and placed about 30 lbs on the hatch until the caulk cured. It didnt leak for about 2 weeks and then started again. I have since pulled them out 4 different times and rebeded with 4200, geocell tri polymer caulk, some special plexiglass caulk and a different marine silcone caulk. They still leak.
Last question, I purchased 2 rolling boat dollies to move the boat into the warehouse (haven't moved it yet as the 15k lb dollies seemed to deform when I lowered the boat on them, will try again this weekend) I want to properly support the boat as I plan on working on it for 2 yrs. I was going to block the keel in 3 places and put a jack stand under each side of the stern, is that sufficent? any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank You
Todd Pote
"Double Pote-N-Sea"
1987 10 meter mid cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I repowered a 1983 10 meter express cruiser.

There are several driveline differences between this model and the mid cabin.

The mid cabin's engines are placed further aft

The shafts are shorter.

There is only 1 strut per shaft

The shorter shafts result in a smaller shaft running angle, bringing the centerline closer to the hull

The result is a smaller prop with a different ratio transmission

My non mid cabin express cruiser has Yanmar 315 LP series engines with Hurth downangle transmissions. The Yanmars are taller and narrower than the factory 454's.

They were a tight fit height wise

The deck on the mid cabin is taller than the express cruiser

Factor in the costs for engines, transmissions, couplers, shafts, struts and a larger raw water cooling system.

Also if your vessel has side exhausts, you will simply have to enlarge the outlet holes.

If your engines are worn, tired and ready to let go like mine were, this refit can make sense.

If your engines are fine, it may be difficult to justify.

Better factor in the cost of a diesel genset as well as you cannot safely run the gas genny in a diesel environment. (no spark protection on diesel starters & alternators)

Good luck,

RWS
Apple

Repowered 10 Mtr

Post by Apple »

Todd,
I am about 95% complete on repowering a 10 Mtr. Sedan with 330 Cummins ReCons. I did the job myself, with some help from my father, my 2 sons, and a friend at my marina. I did all the fabrication work in my garage at home. All the brackets and new engine beds are fabbed using stainless and were all hand made. I am fortunate enough to have a friend that owns a marina and he got me most of the accessories at cost. The engines and GenSet came from Richard Sutton at Cummins Power Systems in Glen Burnie, Md.

(2) 330 Cummins ReCon engines with TwinDisc 5055A Down angle gear (1) 9 Kw Onan GenSet
2" Groco strainers and Seacocks
New 1 1/2" shafts, cutlass bearings, PSS Shaft seals
A lot more stuff and plenty of time added to the mix.

Done mostly on weekends with a few days off during the week, the job took about a year to complete. I also rehabbed the entire fresh water system and replaced the water heater. So far, I'm @ $55000 and there is no way to put a price on the time invested. Keep in mind, I did the work... not a contractor. Outsource the work and you're looking at a much larger figure.
I'm located in Baltimore and just this summer took the family to Ocean City for a week. Her first "official" shake down cruise. Fishing... scuba diving...What a BLAST! Am I happy with the job? You bet. Would I do it again? You bet. I would have to mortgage the house if I wanted to do that with 454s. 1.62 mpg at a 20 kt. cruise. The boat weighs in now @ 20K# Full. Based on 5 people,full water,full fuel, gear, food, BEER, full Scuba gear for 3 w/ 6 tanks. dinghy, motor, spare everything, and, oh yes, can't forget that 6 foot SMILE on my face...I've owned her for 12 years and love her more now than when I bought her. Plan a long term relationship if you expect to see any return on your investment. The joy of that trip with my family and the safety and security of diesel power was return enough for me.(...sounds like an advertisement.) Best of luck.
Regards,
Steve Leuschner
'''Pauper's Paradise'''
Baltimore, Maryland
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks for the info RWS & Steve,
I had forgotten about the genset, That will have to be figured in (Naturally I just put a gas kohler 5kw with sound enclosure last season, oh well ). I was kind of leaning towards cummings, Yanmars are really nice but out of my price range. My Crusaders run great and have around 700hrs on them but I've decided to keep the boat out next season and go over everything which will be much easier with the engines out. I figure once their out either rebuild the gas or suck it up and go diesel. The wife and I both fish and scuba dive so the efficency of diesel would make a huge difference. Steve, Thanks for Richard Sutton name. I'll give him a call when I get closer as Glen Burnie isn't too far away.
By the way what kind of speed and efficency are you guys getting with your diesels? I know its way better than gas but was just curious.
This is our second Trojan, had a 1977 f28 first. We have pretty much commited to keeping this 10 meter for a long time.
Thanks again guys!

Todd Pote
"Double Pote-N-Sea"
1987 10 meter mid cabin