LM318 Rebuild Kits

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

sportfishermanssvc

LM318 Rebuild Kits

Post by sportfishermanssvc »

Well its looking like I am going to have to rebuild my LM318 and I am wondering if anyone knows of a good company selling complete kits or if the components are the same as automotive. Also going to need to find a book with good specifications for this engine. Any suggestions?
iyokaluza

Re: LM318 Rebuild Kits

Post by iyokaluza »

sportfishermanssvc wrote:Well its looking like I am going to have to rebuild my LM318 and I am wondering if anyone knows of a good company selling complete kits or if the components are the same as automotive. Also going to need to find a book with good specifications for this engine. Any suggestions?
Hi man i'm in the same spot as far as 318 rebuilds. Not alot of luck as far as spec's so if you get info please pass it on to me. Thanks Jeff
etpence

Post by etpence »

hello
the engine rebuilt kits are the same as autos , dont let a marine parts group tell you differant
I have bought and rebuilt my LM 318s one Gasket rebuilt kit I got from local parts house the other from a chrysler marine dealer which I paid dubble the price for and after checking they were the exact same part numbers and looked to see any differanece
none found
the only issue is the cam is note automotive and the springs in the heads on the valves are stiffer so make sure if you have valvework done they know its marine other wise you lose some power
regards todd
30' trojan MioMio
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

here is a link to a reseller of remanufactured engines. I bought an LM318 long block and velvet drive transmission from them 3 years ago.
http://www.1800runsnew.com/NLM/remanufactured-NLM.html

I saved a lot of photos taken during the process. I learned a few things along the way.

I transferred many parts from the old engine to the new block with good success. I installed a new circulator pump. I didn't rebuild the carb or distributor during the engine swap, which I did later and should have done during the project. It would have saved me a lot of dissapointment when the boat first went in the water after re-powering.

I have the shop manual, but a lot of key details are missing. I hired a mechanic to help with assembling the timing cover, intake manifold and associated key seals and to help commission the engine (start it for the first time).

Let me know if you have specific questions.
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
sportfishermanssvc

Post by sportfishermanssvc »

Well for now I am holding off on the rebuild, I have definite distributor issues, manifolds are in pretty rough shape and should be replaced, and found the carb has gotten brittle and is crumbly in places :(. That said I am looking at dumping a lot of money into this engine. I am looking into finding a good used mercruiser 5.7 and retrofitting it into the boat. Easier parts availability and not much more work or money than getting this old beast going again at this point.