Tri Cabin Windshield removal

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tpd777

Tri Cabin Windshield removal

Post by tpd777 »

I am having a 1985 Tri cabin transported and have been told I will have to remove the windshield. Can anyone
tell me from experience what is involved and what problems I might expect. Also, has anyone shipped a Tri cabin with
The windshield on? Shipping from NJ to FL. Thanks.
1985 36 Tri Cabin
k9th
Ultimate User

Re: Tri Cabin Windshield removal

Post by k9th »

I have the instructions from Trojan on how to remove and re-install your windshield. It came as part of the owner's manual on my 79 tricabin.

PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
mark30h

Post by mark30h »

We removed the winshield from our 80 tri three years ago to ship, and it wasnt a real complicated deal, although you will definately need some hands to hold and to support the pieces during dissassembly. The 80 was pretty straightforward. The windshield came off in 5 separate pieces. They slide together, and are held to the boat with screws and bolts. Side panel screws are in plain sight, the front panel bolts are accessible by removing the panel in the salon headliner. There are braces at the top of the windsheld frame, and the wiper motor wiring is accessible by removing the rubber strip from the inside frame. I think we has the windshield off in about an hour, and we were taking our time. I seem to recall that the panels slide upwards starting from the outer panels, then left to right across the front.

Our dockmate has an 86, and there are some differences in the height and construction of the winshield frame, about about 4" lower than the 80. In addition to the hight difference, there are a number of screws that seem to attach the frames together, which may have eliminated the slide together feature of the frames on the earlier series. Ive worked on this boat quite a bit, and when im down there today ill look at their manuals to see if the dissassembly information is there, and share it with you.

Joe
Archiee

Post by Archiee »

It important to have a copy of manual for how to remove and re-install your windshield.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

when you put the entire ''puzzle'' back together again, make sure you rebed everything really well. when trojan built these boats, they used butyl tape for bedding (cleats, deck hardware, window frames etc.....) the nice thing about butyl tape is that it will not dry out and crack. i think it's easier to work with, but, that's just my take on it. keep us posted. some before, during and after removal pics would be greatly appreciated.
AAron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
mark30h

Post by mark30h »

Looking at the windshield of the 86 next to me. The removal info is not in the looseleaf manual. Looking at the windshield it looks similar to the 80 with external side pane screws and lower bolts under the strip in the headliner and connecting brackets on top. The slide in interlocks seem to have been replaced by brackets and screws between the panes. Easier.if you ask me after doing our 80. Leaving the support rod to the dash in place if you have it is helpful during removal.
tpd777

Post by tpd777 »

Thank you all for your inputs. I will try and post any helpful info I can after the removal and re-assembly.
1985 36 Tri Cabin
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

pics would be really great as a 'how to'. so, when is the big move? keep us posted.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com