Crusader Model 350 problems

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

just4plaay

Crusader Model 350 problems

Post by just4plaay »

We have a 1983 Trojan 10 meter. The engines are Crusader model 350. Over winter we had the heads freshened up on the port (standard rotation) engine and all seemed to be going well until we had it running. There was a slight miss, no backfiring, started easy, just a slight miss most noticeable under load. After further examination the firing order was set at 1-8-4-5-6-3-7-2 so I thought bingo we found the problem and went ahead with switching it to 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 which is what the valve covers say it should be set at. With it in the correct order the engine will not start, backfires every couple cranks but won't start. If I switch it back to the "incorrect" order then it starts but has the miss to it. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? I set the firing order on the other engine and it runs great and I've unplugged and taken the plug wires completely out of the boat and put them back in to make sure I'm not just an idiot and overlooking something or had a wire crossed that I didn't notice.
Paul
Active User

Re: Crusader Model 350 problems

Post by Paul »

Sounds like the dist may possibly be installed 180°out. Check that the rotor is pointing at the #1 cylinder wire with the piston at TDC during a compression stroke. This may sound like a simple mistake but I know that I've done it on occasion. :oops:

Hope this helps
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
just4plaay

Post by just4plaay »

Yeah I tried reversing it 180 degrees and setting the order correctly and that was definitely not correct.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Remove the distributor cap and bump engine over to confirm the rotor direction is matching the way you have the wires on------- all I can think of -sorry double post--Mike
Last edited by mikeandanne on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Remove the distributor cap and bump engine over to confirm the rotor direction is matching the way you have the wires on---- all I can think of ---Mike
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Valves adjusted to tight
just4plaay

Post by just4plaay »

kallen wrote:Valves adjusted to tight
When we adjusted the valves we followed the following steps:
1: warm engine to operating temp
2: back off valve until you hear chatter
3: slowly tighten until chatter is gone
4: tighten 1/4 turn and wait ten seconds. Repeat until tightened a total of 3/4 turn.
5: repeat steps 2 thru 4 for all valves

After doing this the engine ran great except by the time we were done cylinder 1 and 4 both had low compression because we had tightened too far. Without thinking about the rest I redid those cylinders and it ran good again. Do you think this is still the problem and if so what would be the correct procedure for lashing the valves? Also, do you have any idea's on the firing order?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have had some cases where you can't go the full 1 turn when the lifters have some hours/wear on them .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
just4plaay

Post by just4plaay »

I'll try backing them all off a little this afternoon. What about the firing order though?
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

just4plaay wrote: what would be the correct procedure for lashing the valves?
Sounds like you're doing it on a running engine. This can be a messy way of doing it however if this is your preferred method, back the nut off until it start ticking then tighten until the noise is gone + 1/2 turn and you're done.

The method that I prefer is as follows: rotate the crank shaft, using a remote starter trigger, until the rocker is down and then some. Loosen the rocker nut until the push rod spins freely with 2 fingers. Then slowly tighten the nut until the push rod stops spinning with 2 fingers, this is "0" lash. Tighten the nut an additional 1/2 turn and move on top the next rocker. If you look it up in an engine manual, you will find that if the engine is at TDC with the #1 cyl in compression, you can adjust several exhaust and intake valves at once. Then rotate the crank 180° and adjust the rest of them. I have the order for a LH rotation but not a RH rotation engine so i'd rather not post it to avoid confusion. Best bet is to find this from a Crusader manual.

Hope this helps.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Recheck base timing now that you have the wires on in the right order. Check compression to see if maybe you went a little too far adjusting lash.

As far as being 180 out. An easy way to tell if you have #1 on exhaust or compression is look at the valves on #6 with the covers off. If the valves on #6 are moving as #1 is coming up, #1 is on compression. If the valves are moving on #1 and not on #6 then #1 is coming up to exhaust.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
just4plaay

Post by just4plaay »

Today I backed each valve off 1/4 turn from where they were which helped brought all cylinders up to 145-150 psi. The part that made me feel really dumb is while the valve covers were off I watched very closely which valve was opening when and came to the conclusion that I wasn't 180 degrees off but completely reversed. The valve covers on a crusader say firing order: LH and RH. I assumed the motor was on the left so it was LH but in reality its the right hand rotation engine. This explained my 3 and 5 issue because on the RH they were right and so were 1 and 6. Basically I was running on 4 cylinders (which knowing that it ran surprisingly well). Anyways, thanks for all of the help. Tomorrow if I get the chance I'll put some pictures up of my winter projects (new paint on the stripes and a 42" teak swim deck on the back).