40 knot F36

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

40 knot F36

Post by prowlersfish »

thats what the ad says and a 30 knot cruse I would have to see int o belive it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 50540&rd=1
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Why not send a note that says you'll make an offer, however if the speed claim cannot be veirfied by GPS he pays the survey fee?

RWS
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I am not looking to buy . just found it interesting I don't realy belive the numbers.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I don't either, Paul. Those 440's would have to spin 6000 rpm or better to do 40 knots. Chrysler 440's are low rpm 'torque' engines and would not last many trips that high above what they were designed and propped to turn (4000 rpm wide open. I also doubt that a 1977 F-36 only has minor flybridge 'soft spots' and none on the foredeck.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
rossjo
Ultimate User

40 knots?

Post by rossjo »

Wow -

"The engines have less than 10 hours on them. It has the original 440 Chrysler blocks but have just been completely rebuilt at a cost of over $16,000 by Fountain Powerboat engine builder Joey Griffon. Everything has been balanced and only the best was used, no expense spared. The boat now cruises at over 30 knots and tops out near 40 knots"

40 knots would be scary ...
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Yes...seller is on crack

Post by JuiceClark »

My 454s are bored-out rebuilds and have at least 360hp. When I tested after repowering for new props, my most efficient cruise was at 19mph at my top end was 32mph at 4200rpm. (was scared to push it the last 200 rpm) I must say that going over 30 up on the brigde feels pretty cool.

I didn't notice a blower or turbos on those motors. So, somebody is false advertising. In this rotten resale market, I'd expect more of this silliness.

Tony in Sw FL
1982 F-36
rossjo
Ultimate User

30knots

Post by rossjo »

30knots peak for my twin 6BTAs - when the bottom is very clean (this guys has bottom paint as well).

Tony - did you remove the bottom paint on your boat? I'm thinking of removing mine altogether when I make my barnacle barrier (I bought one those bilboard tarps, but haven't set it up yet).
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

speed too fast maybe kilometers

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

If the speeds were kilometers per hour instead of nautical miles per hour or even knots then I would believe these to be more accurate.
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

I hate Plaid,, and the teaks pretty tired. Engines are probably a Miami rebuild :P :P :P :P
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
JuiceClark
Moderate User

bottom

Post by JuiceClark »

Ross,
No, I'm going to just let the bottom paint fall off. I keep looking for an excuse to pay to have my boat hauled because I want to install these funky underwater transom lights I created. But I ran my hand along the bottom this weekend and it was as smooth as it gets. I still have not had one single barnacle since the billboard bottom bunker.

Tony
rossjo
Ultimate User

Transom lites

Post by rossjo »

Tony, Do you have a swim platform? I do, and plan to install similar transom lite on mine, but on the bottom of the swim platform (out of the water). I'm planning to use blue LED strips (they're waterproof, but I'll coat with epoxy to amke sure).

I've got to get to work onmy bottom barrier ...