MCCK Generator

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

MCCK Generator

Post by Bob Giaier »

Our 73 Tri cabin (Lola), was brought back from abandonment 4 years ago. She was in a barn protected from the elements for 12 years before we found her. This year i thought I'd get the Onan generator going. Everything seems to work but the engine itself. That is the blower goes on for several minutes and then the engine cranks but doesn't start. I'm pretty sure the fuel filter is clogged, so next time I'm at The boat I'll fix that and she should start.

My question has to do with parts. I know I need an over temp switch since it's broken ( I think it got snagged on my shirt and cracked into pieces). I have the manual but don't see any mention of it. So I'm hoping someone may know a part number and a place to buy it. My gen is a 6.5MCCK 1A/1E. S/n 0373573215.

I don't know why I need a generator, other than it might be fun to cook breakfast out in the middle of Saginaw Bay and it's just fun.

Thanks guys as always for your help.

Bob
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: MCCK Generator

Post by larryeddington »

I have a guy that has a large quantity of onan parts that was in the marine business and they were left over from his closing. Parts seem to be a little cheaper than the norm. I will dig his name up and post. Also if you have problems with the raw water pump give me a shout, I just went through mine and even had a part made at a bout 1/3 cost of onan one
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

oops
Last edited by larryeddington on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

Great! Thank you. Good point, I will be changing the impeller too once I hear it run.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

The guy I stumbled on is a Walt Edson has various pseudo names for sales. He is in Monroe, Wa and his phone is 360-805-5320 and email waltedson@hotmail.com, he has a good supply of parts, I would not buy the bearing pumpshaft assembly as it is very spendy, I duplicated it for about $160
Last edited by larryeddington on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

Thanks Larry, I'll make sure I contact him once I get it running.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

if you totally rebuild the pump that bearing shaft part is very spendy you will be shocked. It is made all one piece.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

I looked at the shaft in the parts catalog. Strangely shaped around the oring area. I don't expect to replace it (yet), but Just wondering how did you duplicate it?
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Shaft and bearing are made as one piece, NSK has exactly the same bearing and shaft largest size, do a search on my posts and you can see what I did. I did away with flat and used a keyway for a new pulley, on the other end machine shop cut off un needed and turned the rest to original allowing for a circlip that holds pressure on the seal. I also had them cut a groove in the pump body to install an interior snap ring that insures the bearing assembly stays in place. I think my changes are improvements on original and in fact it works fine. bearing was $31, pulley $9 and machining 160.

top bearing is the newley minted one.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

Very cool. I'm sure I'll be asking allot of details if I end up changing the shaft out. Thanks again for your help on the other items.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

was out of town and on my return to the Phoenix I tried starting the antique MCCK 6.5 and guess what, she fired up, little rough idle then warmed up and just purred like it should, had to ask my son if it was running. Hooray for me good luck to others trying the same resurrection. :D
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

Well I tried starting my gen yesterday. It runs with starting fluid only. I even filled the filter bowl with fuel when I replaced the filter. I tried leaving the fuel line off at the carb so I would see the gas pumping from the fuel pump, but there is nothing. The fuel pump is buried under the carb and requires a female torque socket, which i didn't have with me, so i couldn't remove it. I'm not excited about tearing out the carb to get at the fuel pump and Just wondering how likely is it that the diaphragm is bad or is it possible that it is gummed up with 16 year old gas. Can I try spraying carb cleaner into the inlet or any other idea what to do other than remove carb and fuel pump to rebuild the fuel pump?
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

The carby is not hard to get off, at least mine was not. Be sure and get you a set of flare wrenches to avoid damaging any fuel fittings. I had to buy a new 45 degree fitting that goes into the carby, got soaked for $10. Also the electric choking mechanism has way too many spade connectors, if you want to get it back like it came be sure and mark them. I just rewired it with fewer wires and avoided the duplication and worked fine.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

A vacuum gage in the fuel line will tell you if you have a pump problem. If it doesn't creat a vacuum, it won't pull fuel, could be diaphram, or a gummed up check valve.

I trust you have at least between 1/4 to 1/2 a tank of fuel in the tank feeding the genny? If the genny has its own pickup tube, it's very likely that it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the tank.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

I have an H series so it may be a little different, but the carb is very easy to get off and clean. I would do that in any case as the generator hasn't been run in a long time. Also I believe you have a fuel filter on the bottom of the fuel pump that will rotate and pop off. Worth looking at.