F32 Rocking at Slip....!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kyakndave

F32 Rocking at Slip....!

Post by kyakndave »

Hello Everyone. Brand new member here with my first post. I have been looking at the F32 and F36 Trojans. I really like the lines / size of the F32. However, me and a friend went to look a few here at the local marina. Met a nice guy that had a really nice 1990 F32 for sale. We noticed immediately that the boat was rocking back and fourth. It was dead calm. No wind. No wake. The boat is parked in the slip, and no other boat in the marina was doing this! This is a huge marina in a cove off the Chesapeake Bay. The boat almost acted like it was top heavy. He allowed us to inspect the boat and the engine compartment was dry, no water anywhere. The boat was rocking back and fourth, side to side while looking to stern on the dock. After our visit, we looked at other boats and came back 20 minutes later. The owner had left and the boat was still rocking! He mentioned that it has always been like that. We visited another marina and found another F32 doing the same thing although not quite as bad. Can anyone explain this? It's really a concern for me. I love the tall bridge on the F32, but wouldn't like that swaying all the time at all! Thanks to all. Great site!
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: F32 Rocking at Slip....!

Post by Big D »

Welcome aboard. There must be an outside influence acting on the boat. It’s not logical that it would be acting that way on its own; could be a breeze, current, etc. Don’t think it’s specifically related to the make and model. Looking at a couple of F32s and an F30 in a friend’s marina right now, and there is no movement. In a canal; no current, no wind, no movement....strange.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome . The 2 F32s in my marina do not do that (or a F30 and F36) the only time they rock is due to a wake and then all the boats do the same .They are normally very stable at rest .

I am on the Chesapeake Bay what marina is it at ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

check the forward berth.......

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

When you say rock, do you mean (to port and starboard up and down, or just back and forth). I have an F32 docked west of a number of 32 /36 foot express boats. I catch most of the breeze and move more in my slip than they do. Never been kept awake at night by the rocking. hope this helps.

PM if you wish to discuss.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

RWS wrote:check the forward berth.......
RWS
Good one. :lol:

Mine does not do that.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
akwalker
Sporadic User

Post by akwalker »

Keep looking.... its haunted :D
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

ready123 wrote:
RWS wrote:check the forward berth.......
RWS
Good one. :lol:

Mine does not do that.

They make a pill that can help . :wink:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Molly Too

Post by Molly Too »

Mine doesn't do it either.

By the way, my slip is the first, nearest to the shore. I get a fair amount of reflect from the shore, as my east/west fairway is almost in line with the seawall entrance - our winds are mainly westerly.Current changes and passing vessel wakes also move right up to us.

Now I myself, am quite known to be much more tipsy than any F class! :D
Mel Spruill
Molly Too
'87 F32
kyakndave

Post by kyakndave »

Thanks to all...Great replies! It really is the strangest thing. This boat is also the first in a row of slips next to a sea wall, but I'll be damned if we could find any source causing the boat to rock like that. The boat was rocking side to side (Port to Starboard etc.). It was really kept up nice - one of the nicest F32's I have come across. I'll see if I can't get a short video of it on my phone to post if possible. Glad to hear it's not a problem with this model. Really likthe lnes of the boat and the large beam. Would love to hear any comments from F32 owners about their pros/cons. Thanks again...love the site!
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Did it have a tuna tower?
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

hello gang, greetings from manhattan..(day 2 of 4 day trip)
welcome to the trojan site my friend. my partner and i had an f-32 for 2 years prior to the tri cabin purchase and other than rocking when underway from a wake or wind, she just settled in at her slip only to rock with wind and or the occasional $$#@!! who would ignore the 6mph signs. from what i've read, are you saying that under calm conditions, she just sits there and rocks as if someone is pushing down on the railings and then releasing? i've never heard anything like that for the f-32 or any other boat. guys, do you think the holding tank is 'full' and it's sloshing back and forth in the tank? that's one of the few things that i can think of. perhaps you can 'sea trial' her, move her in a different location and see if she still rocks. barring that, maybe you will be the first and only f-32 owner here that has seakeeper stabilizer installed!! all kidding aside, i'd check it out and again, welcome to the site. and the whacky world of trojan owners.
AAron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

kyakndave wrote:This boat is also the first in a row of slips next to a sea wall, but I'll be damned if we could find any source causing the boat to rock like that.!
Bam there is the answer!
Any water movement even non visible will hit sea wall and return.... So a keeled boat like the F32 has a submerged paddle to pick this up and will be pushed to and fro.
The closest boat to sea wall will have biggest effect as will keeled boat vs deep V boats.

I can bet if the F32 was moved away from sea wall you would see the rock n' roll stop!
Buy it if it looks that good.... What you saw is nothing to worry about I'm sure.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

ready123 wrote:
kyakndave wrote:This boat is also the first in a row of slips next to a sea wall, but I'll be damned if we could find any source causing the boat to rock like that.!
Bam there is the answer!
Any water movement even non visible will hit sea wall and return.... So a keeled boat like the F32 has a submerged paddle to pick this up and will be pushed to and fro.
The closest boat to sea wall will have biggest effect as will keeled boat vs deep V boats.

I can bet if the F32 was moved away from sea wall you would see the rock n' roll stop!
Buy it if it looks that good.... What you saw is nothing to worry about I'm sure.
Had a similar thought --- maybe there is a sewer outflow under water through the sea wall that is hitting the boat with a non-obvious current. Something like that could do it, and if someone has made the boat top heavy with a bunch of gear piled on the flybridge or an overly heavy tower or enclosure that will magnify the results. This is not 'typical' of an F32, so is more likely environmental or loading or combination of both.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Just looked at 2 F32s and they were steady . Ready may have the answer
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels