Tranny update on my mid cabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Hardeight

Tranny update on my mid cabin

Post by Hardeight »

Well I had the tranny removed yesterday and is out for rebuild today. Should have it back in by Friday and ready for labor day weekend fishing. The prevailing thought is that at some point it wasn't fully engaged and the resulting friction fused the clutch plates together and that's what locked it in forward gear. So while we are making a mess in the bilge I am replacing the impellers on the motors too....

I did spend last weekend scrubbing her from one end to the other and of course discovered a few other small repairs to make. 2 plumbing leaks ( after filling the tank ) one at the pump which wasn't screwed down to anything and the hose was not connected and another under the cabinets - I have to crawl in the trash can hole for that one.... one of the boards under the battery box is cracked - probably from someone jumping down into the bilge on it. On a good note the bilge pumps all worked perfect and all that fresh water washed out a ton of nasty crap out - I used a shop vac and got 2 5 gallon buckets of crap I had to take to the auto parts store to dispose of, I didn't want it in the water.

I also scrubbed so much dirt and film off the transom I can now see where her old name was - so before I put the new name on her I will need to sand the gel coat some to get rid of it. I don't want to anger the sea Gods with 2 names on her - I got the new graphics for the back and they look great - cant wait for the renaming party!!! :D
Bill
Hard Eight
88 mid cabin express
east coast North Carolina.
yorklyn
Active User

Re: Tranny update on my mid cabin

Post by yorklyn »

sorry about the tranny rebuild but at least you figured it out and are moving forward with the repair. If you cant get to the fitting under the trash can, its not real hard to disconnect the stove and sink and pop the counter out. while your looking in there double check the hose clamps for your galley sink drain where it connects to the thru hull, its the only way to get to that too.
Good Luck
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

don't ya love how trojan hid some hose connections? i look at some of my sink drains and the hoses just vanish behind bulkheads. never to be seen again. god forbid i should ever have to replace the drain in the tub/shower. john, my mechanic, said it can be done, i just need to use a hole saw and cut through a bulkhead in the engine room to get to it. swell.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
jaahmez@hotmail.com

Post by jaahmez@hotmail.com »

Bill,
Take the time and expense to backflush all the coolers, the procedures are laid out clearly in the Crusader engines shop manual for your stuff. I believe there are also some threads on here about the backflush procedures as well. The cooling line off the elbow to the shaft tends to get incredibly gooed up as well, particularly on the elbow side.

Although it could have just been it's time for the trans, the small passageways in all the cooling apparatus tend to get very cruddy when the boats aren't run much.

Be gentle when you're backing those old brass fittings out...

James