got my first trojan 36 tri cabin (1975)have a few questions

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

hanybop

got my first trojan 36 tri cabin (1975)have a few questions

Post by hanybop »

Hi
thought I would share this for all to enjoy or laugh at me or relate.............none the matter

Just got my first Trojan, good price decent survey, and it has been an adventure, never sailed a boat this large previous boat was a 17' runabout, lol. I purchased the boat in Georgian bay and sailed it down to lake Scogog just north east of Toronto by way of the trent-severn waterway,
First run with the boat after starting the engines many times and going over all systems, fuel up $1049.00 leave the pumps and get 50 feet from shore port engine quits,15 mph winds pushing me back to all the big boats moored was scared but managed to get the boat along the fueling dock (everybody I had gotten advice from were saying its almost impossible to park with one engine and me with 30 seconds of sailing time) 6 hours later and switching every part I could from engine to engine I find a dirt connection at the ballast resistor, presto she roars back to life. now a quick run up the inlet to get a feel for the boat and a few 360s these boats do turn on a dime a 40' dime that is feeling more like a captain now head back to shore and my temporary slip of coarse at the back of the marina parked that baby like a pro, right in first try and no scampering off the boat in a mad dash to tie it off before it hits something.
Time for the big cruise load up the old subbie with everything but the kitchen sink for the drive up to the boat, get about an hour into the drive a blow a tire empty out the truck to get the spare and jack, but no tire iron ARRRR its 1am thank god for CAA,90 minutes later on our way again (hope the whole trip doesn't go this way.)get to the boat at 3:30am load up everything on the boat, i'm so excited I barely sleep and set sail by 9am,plot my course by charts (don't have a nav system yet)navigate Georgian bay without a hitch all the way to the entrance of the trent waterway, first locks ahead, really nervous theres a few large boats already in the lock and they wave me in also catch the mooring line I say to my first mate loudly (FYI don't raise your voice to the first mate or she will stop everything.LOL) mad dash off the bridge and a falling leap to catch the line before I float into another boat, success first lock down 20+ to go, a few more locks and it 4 in the afternoon time to moor for the night and crack a beer or 6 sooo good, meet some good people and have a cheer, next day start the engines (have to use the emergence start????) think nothing of it heading into the lock they sure lick to pack the boats in, starboard engine quits, panic sets in, catch the mooring lines all is good, thru the lock we go, get to the other side do some investigating the generator is not charging no problem I say just run a set of booster cables to the other engine, all is good, up next is big shout railway lift amazing....some more locks and another night of cheer.all is going good now set sail the next day all is going good out on lake simcoe now and miss a channel marker find some really shallow water OUCH have a tiny vibration now, no more plane to be safe, anchor have a swim pull up the anchors but leave the stern one on the swim platform, all covered in mud thinking I will clean later, no need get under way and all I hear is ratatata.....there goes the anchor and 60' of chain, thank god it was not attached to the boat anymore. few more locks and some more cheer.set sail again in the morning more locks what a wonderful way to travel. go a little to far have to backtrack run out of fuel thought the tank switches changed tanks but it only changes the fuel gages LOL, more fuel and made it to my new marina.
This was the best trip of my life and I wouldn't change one bit of it even with all the misadventure,

now the question how do I change the oil on the 440s specifically get the oil out I can't seem to see any easy access to a drain. and does anybody have any diagrams on how the back deck is removed when changing engines mine were changed a couple of years ago and now I have leaks in the back just trying to get some info without tearing apart everything to see what is going on

Cheers Paul
hanybop

Re: got my first trojan 36 tri cabin (1975)have a few questi

Post by hanybop »

some pictures more to add later
Attachments
big shoot rail way
big shoot rail way
IMG_0197.jpg (31.06 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
big shoot
big shoot
IMG_0196.jpg (32.41 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
big shoot railway
big shoot railway
IMG_0195.jpg (38.79 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
hanybop

Post by hanybop »

a few more
Attachments
trent waterway
trent waterway
IMG_0210.jpg (29.25 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
trent waterway
trent waterway
IMG_0208.jpg (57.22 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
kirkfield lift lock
kirkfield lift lock
IMG_0204.jpg (29.98 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

First welcome and thanks for the photos . On changing your oil you may have to suck it out the dip stick tubes . I would reccament you get a kit ( or make your own )to put a pump out hose on the drain plug '

On the engine removel there is not set plans on what to remove the back deck so how the did it is hard to say . what did the remove or what did they cut ?? . I know there have been issue with leaks back there perhaps someone will post some info on places to look for leaks .

Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
hanybop

Post by hanybop »

a couple more
Attachments
kirkfield
kirkfield
IMG_0206.jpg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 8181 times
open water on lake simcoe
open water on lake simcoe
IMG_0213.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 8181 times
Bajan's Gal

Post by Bajan's Gal »

Welcome Paul.
I have a 1973 Tricabin and just love it.
Changing the oil is easy with a dip stick pump. You can get the Pella one from any marine outlet or NAPA auto parts have them as well. About $100 and well worth the money. You can also use it to change oil in your transmission and v drives.
By the way back in the early 70's used to keep my first boat in Port Perry at the old PPYC. We used to call it the poor peoples yc.
Have had my old girl for 11 years and most people tell me she is the best they have seen. Used to boat the St Lawrence but now keep it closer to home on the Rideau. I have done most upgrades myself so know a little bit.
Chris
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Another Paul ??? That makes how many ?? Great name BTW

Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
David Clyne

Post by David Clyne »

Congrats !!! Purchase and trip.
I am so jealous. Love the tricabin but too big for my body of water here on the Ottawa River, plus no marina, arrgh.
I did not make my goal to splash the 1st of July but she's ready for next year. I found so many things to fix once I started so good luck with tour winter repairs.
blair

Post by blair »

HEY, nice to see another tricabin in the Kawartha Lakes!
Your first cruise down the canal sounds alot like mine...similar level of experience, equal level of fear of collision with larger, more expensive floating things.We hired a captain to get us through the upper section and learned along the way.
This board has some great resources and tons of information that is easy to search for. Tricabin owners are plenty here and it's nice to see a few new owners from Ontario lately. 2014 might be a good year for a Trojan Owners Canal Cruise!!
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Welcome! Sounds like the first trip was a bit of a adventure! Have you considered taking any of the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron courses over the winter? It's a good way to help you understand and learn how to handle and maintain your new Tri. As you have already discovered, that ain't no 17' runabout!
hanybop

Post by hanybop »

thanks for all the reply's

and yes my first trip was an adventure, and I will look into some courses this winter, navigation, marine radio certificate, i'm pretty hand and not afraid to get my hand dirty so a care and control course would hurt,
A Trojan canal cruise would be cool we should look into getting something going for next summer,

the boat will be a work in progress I have so many things I want to do, the interior is very dated i'd say late '80s and kinda pink..... let me throw a few things out there and see what you all think about my plans (nut or not). I was thinking of putting the galley in the front birth and making the saloon larger and more comfortable, and here is the big one extending the aft cabin to be more like the '80s tri cabin style not so fond of the semi coffin style beds in the back, I seen to bang my shins when I roll over , let me know what you think, and I know I will never get back what I put into this boat, but for me it's all about what I will get out of the boat.

cheers Paul
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome, and sounds like a great trip and shakedown cruise. We love our Tri-cabin and spend as much time as possible on her. Getting ready to pull her for the winter in about a week and have some winter projects lined up.

We plan to take her to the North Channel and Georgian Bay for a couple of weeks next summer. I have been there many times in my other boat, but this will be the first for the Tri-cabin and we are already making our plans.

Thanks for the great pics.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Happy Ours

Post by Happy Ours »

Welcome

Sounds like you had quite an adventure, great way to learn the boat, I keep my 1975 f26 at sturgeon lake marina on sturgeon lake in the kawarthas lakes approx 5 miles north east of the Lindsay lock, I live in orono which is about 25 minutes to port perry and 40 minutes to my boat, when i joined this forum someone said grab a few cold beers and read this forum all 144 pages, well i have about 3 or 4 times and found a ton off info, paul this forum is fantastic great people and a wealth off info, drop by next year if your in the area, that trojan convoy sounds like a great idea, hey blair did you keep your boat at sturgeon lake marina, the guy next to me has a Mainship his name is Bill (great guy) I think I remember him talking about a guy named blair that had a trojan that moved to youngs point, could this be you

Craig
1975 F26 351 w
1977 F32
1975 F26 sold
AT Young's Point in the Kawartha Lakes on the
Trent Severn Waterway
blair

Post by blair »

Indeed, that is us. Stayed at Sturgeon Lake marina for the last few months of 2012 and over the winter. Now out of Young's Point, on Clear Lake.
Bill is an AWESOME resource for all things boating, and a Queen's Jubilee medal recipient for his efforts to introduce others to the hobby via Sea Cadets. Not to mention, a real gentleman. He cam to vist us this summer at YP.
This Ontario Trojan Owner's Cruise might really have some legs...I'll start a new thread later.
bp
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

greetings and mazel tov on the purchase and your first adventure with the tri cabin. my mom and dad had ours from 1972 until 2007/2008. factory fresh with some custom features that were incorporated in later models.

first off.... engine changes are accomplished by removing the two back interior/exterior bulkheads and door. the old engines are then lifted out of the boat and removed. if the aft deck bulkheads are not properly rebedded when reinstalled, this is a potential achilles heal as is the ply wood under the aft deck (rot).

second... not sure about the aft cabin remodel. i'm sure it can be accomplished, but, it will not be inexpensive. remember though, if you do make her into a flush deck design, you need to make sure there is some sort of hatch/exit for aft cabin evacuation in the even of an emergency.

she's a solid boat. that hull gives one heck of a great ride.

aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com