Removing boat name stickers?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Generally speaking, changing names was an old superstition among commercial vessels of the time. I don't think they apply to recreational vessels.

You might try a heat gun or hair dryer and CAREFULLY heat and peel as you go. Be sure to remove any and all adhesive, best as possible. Not sure what adhesive remover to recommend. Good luck.
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

There is a ritual that must be followed when changing a vessel's name. I would suggest resarching it and abiding by it.
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

At NAPA auto parts stores, they sell a wheel that you mount in your drill. It's about a 5 inch disk, and feels like a big eraser. Its made to take decals off cars (your race car I guess) but I've used them to remove pin striping and lettering from boats many times.

If the wheel doesn't take it off quickly, try (in a test spot first) a little oven cleaner to soften up the letters.

Mitch
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Apple

Post by Apple »

From the picture, it doesn't look as these letters have been on for a long time. My graphics were on the boat for 10 years and I removed them by warming with a heat gun...worked fine. I didn't get my official name change papers from the "Coast Guard Gods" until it was too cold to apply the new lettering, so they will go on in the spring. You may have seen this already, but here is the link for the ceremony.

http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

Steve L.
"Pauper's Paradise"
g36
Moderate User

tips

Post by g36 »

after the letters are off, any way to lessen the color differences on the hull that was under the letters? so you dont have a ghost of the name before.
Apple

Post by Apple »

When I removed the old painted on name , it did leave a ghost. I buffed the transom with 3m Super Rubbing compound, then with Finesse-it. Applied the new lettering and waxed with 3M Marine wax. No, I'm not a pitch man for 3M products...this is just what works best for me. Oh yeah...I did break down a buy a $200 Milwaukee 7"/9" buffer and installed a 3M Super Buff hook/loop pad. Wow! what an difference. The 6" Craftsman buffer took a $#!+...after I worked it to death. If I have great success with a product or an idea, I don't mind sharing. Hope this helps...

Steve L.
"Pauper's Paradise"