Fuel senders

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Fuel senders

Post by prowlersfish »

Sender installed
Sender seen from out side of cabinet
Sender seen from out side of cabinet
sender 1s.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 9091 times
3" hole to install sender (offset a few inches)
3" hole to install sender (offset a few inches)
sender 2s.jpg (104.83 KiB) Viewed 9091 times
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
boatsnbars

Post by boatsnbars »

Maybe those diesels are wider than my Mercruisers. My tanks are wedge shaped and I think the sender is offset to the inboard side. I have the extended range tanks below the cockpit, those gauges are next. Looks like you did a neat job, which is no surprise.
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The tanks where replaced when repowered with the diesels . The OEM tanks where galvanized the replacement are aluminum . So the senders maybe in a different location then the OEM . Or perhaps the moved them inboard in the newer F36s , mine is older then yours .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Hi Paul,

This is a little off topic from the sending units but I was wondering if you used a fuel polishing system on your diesel tanks. I'm guessing that diesel doesn't stay in your tanks long enough to get funky but what about the places that your purchasing it from.

Just trying to educate myself a bit on marine diesels.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I'm not Paul but this is my experience.
When I bought the President it had 4 yr old diesel and had only been run a handful of hours. Due to the viewpoint 'out there' and it being my first diesel, I setup a portable fuel polisher to clean the fuel. After almost a week and very few plugged filters I stopped and shipped it back to the guy I borrowed it from along with the new filters I had ordered expecting a problem.
Since then I have run many tankfuls through the engines, buying at varied marina's from Alabama to Florida...... I store my diesel for 6 months every year and have yet to run into any fuel problems.

I may be cynical but can't help but think it is in the advisor's and filter manufacturer's interest to maintain this 'myth'.... now were I travelling Indonesia and the Philippines my experience might be different.
I have put this up there with the myth of keeping fuel tanks full to prevent moisture condensation problems!
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Paul,
Ready is pretty much on the same page as me on this . The boats that don't burn much fuel seem to have issues , not the ones that do . Sail boats seem to have a lot of issues because the use much fuel and they seem to have small filters .

Running a diesel helps clean the fuel too . As your flow more fuel then you burn so your returning some filtered fuel to the tank . My diesels use a high flow pump . My flow is around 70 GPH so if I am burning 5 GPH I also returning 65 GPH to the tanks filtering 65 gal per hour , per engine .

I do also use a biocide/stabilizer to be safe
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

prowlersfish wrote:I do also use a biocide/stabilizer to be safe
I use Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost at the start of the season only, I rely on clean fuel from the supplier during the season.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Thanks for the info gents, it seems that operating your boat is a form of fuel polishing. Sooo with a diesel powered boat you can tell the wife that you must go boating or risk having the fuel go bad. That's awesome. :D
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Paul wrote:Thanks for the info gents, it seems that operating your boat is a form of fuel polishing. Sooo with a diesel powered boat you can tell the wife that you must go boating or risk having the fuel go bad. That's awesome. :D
Now your getting it :mrgreen:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
BSpencer

Post by BSpencer »

boatsnbars wrote: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:55 am Prowlerfish, I did mine last year with the same senders. My F-36 has a plywood panel directly over the fuel tanks on either side of the salon. I just removed the screws and pried it up. My interior must be different then yours.
boatsnbars: I just bought a 1989 F36 and it has problems with the current fuel level gauges. I'd like to replace all the gauges but I'd also like to replace the fuel level sending units while I'm at it. Can you tell me what size sending units you purchased for the main and reserve tanks?... and what the Ohm range is for those units? A link would be particularly helpful! Thanks in advance to everyone on the forum for any insight/advice you can offer!
BSpencer

Post by BSpencer »

prowlersfish wrote: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:08 pm Just up graded my fuel senders to a wema unit . Finely will have fuel gauges that will be correct .Only had 1 working gauge before and it was way off when it worked . ( I always keep track of fuel used )

The new Wema is to the left .

Lots of fun to replace on a F36 :wink:
PROWLERFISH: I just purchased a 1989 F36 and joined the forum. I'm starting the process of restoration and looking to learn the 'easy' way. Can you tell me what size senders you put in. I see that WEMA is now KUS USA and their senders range from 4" to 24". I'd also appreciate knowing what ohm range they operate in so that I can match my new gauges to the senders. Thanks in advance for any advice/insight you can offer.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

BSpencer wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:43 pm
prowlersfish wrote: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:08 pm Just up graded my fuel senders to a wema unit . Finely will have fuel gauges that will be correct .Only had 1 working gauge before and it was way off when it worked . ( I always keep track of fuel used )

The new Wema is to the left .

Lots of fun to replace on a F36 :wink:
PROWLERFISH: I just purchased a 1989 F36 and joined the forum. I'm starting the process of restoration and looking to learn the 'easy' way. Can you tell me what size senders you put in. I see that WEMA is now KUS USA and their senders range from 4" to 24". I'd also appreciate knowing what ohm range they operate in so that I can match my new gauges to the senders. Thanks in advance for any advice/insight you can offer.
I am sorry but I can't be much help. The ohm range matched my VDO gauges that are not original on my 77/78 boat. Sender needs to match the gague. I don't remember the leanth as it was 8 years ago and the tanks are not original anyway.( Replaced when depowered to diesel) To find the leanth I pulled the sender and measured to the tank bottom. Beacon does sell the swing arm style pre adjusted to fit the stock tank fwiw. Sorry was not much help.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
BSpencer

Post by BSpencer »

I'm grateful for the attempt! I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as I start to dig into this beauty. I'm grateful that the forum has folks like you who are willing to help newbies like me.