right hand or left hand rotation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

DANTE

right hand or left hand rotation

Post by DANTE »

Im sure this topic has been beatin to death at least a million times, but on a 79 F 32 with chryslers, what direction does the port engine rotate ?
thanks
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: right hand or left hand rotation

Post by prowlersfish »

Should be left hand rotation ( normal rotation )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kneepdeep

Post by kneepdeep »

In twin screw gas boats, the stbd engine is the normal rotation engine, turning a normal rotstion prop, right hand. Stbd engines ate ccw rotation. The port engines are cw rotatation, turn left handed props. Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, all the same.
A side note the Port engine usually always gives up first, something about running backwards!
John
Trojan 12 Meter Convertible
Whaler 13 50 hp Mercury.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I ain't gonna comment. :twisted:
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

kneepdeep wrote:In twin screw gas boats, the stbd engine is the normal rotation engine, turning a normal rotstion prop, right hand. Stbd engines ate ccw rotation. The port engines are cw rotatation, turn left handed props. Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, all the same.
A side note the Port engine usually always gives up first, something about running backwards!
John

In most cases incorrect ( not all ) The port (left side ) is normally the normal turn ( as in a car) turning the left hand prop . It turns CCW looking at it from the flywheel end .

There are of course exception's to this . A 10 meter fly/aft cabin is just the opposite .

Also in later model gas engines you will find both engine turn the same with the trans reversing the direction just like a diesel set up .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Thanks Paul, that is what I would have said had I chosen to comment. :)
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
kneepdeep

Post by kneepdeep »

Those are some pretty snarky comments since your incorrect. The man asked what was the rotation on a set of 79 chryslers. 1979, means it had Borg Warner gears, except for one model of B/w from that era (model 72-13000, used in trawlers) all 71 and 72 series change the direction of the rotation. Stbd engine is a ccw rotation, or left hand looking at flywheel which, is how rotation is determined. So a left hand, or ccw, or STANDARD ROTATION, makes the prop turn clockwise, right hand or standard. This is not my opinion, its standard info, and having been a Mercruiser wrench and repowered many boats, I can verify thats how it works.
With the later transmissions, Hurth or 5000 series, Borg Warner , it does nt matter you could put either rotation on either side, or use two same rotation engines, which is the norm now.
As with all these owners groups, there are always a couple of people who feel compelled to comment or dispense advice on every single post or topic. Some times you have to look out, other people might actually know a few things too.
Trojan 12 Meter Convertible
Whaler 13 50 hp Mercury.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Paul said "in most cases" and he was not Snarky. If you want to scrap about it go to the pontifications. IMO
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

kneepdeep wrote:Those are some pretty snarky comments since your incorrect. The man asked what was the rotation on a set of 79 chryslers. 1979, means it had Borg Warner gears, except for one model of B/w from that era (model 72-13000, used in trawlers) all 71 and 72 series change the direction of the rotation. Stbd engine is a ccw rotation, or left hand looking at flywheel which, is how rotation is determined. So a left hand, or ccw, or STANDARD ROTATION, makes the prop turn clockwise, right hand or standard. This is not my opinion, its standard info, and having been a Mercruiser wrench and repowered many boats, I can verify thats how it works.
With the later transmissions, Hurth or 5000 series, Borg Warner , it does nt matter you could put either rotation on either side, or use two same rotation engines, which is the norm now.
As with all these owners groups, there are always a couple of people who feel compelled to comment or dispense advice on every single post or topic. Some times you have to look out, other people might actually know a few things too.
Most (note I said most not all )71 and 72 Do Not reverse Rotation for operation ,there are some ratios that do ( will look them up later ) and of course NO 1 to 1 ratio reverses direction of rotation . Not trying to be snarky just pointing out the facts .

Your correct on the Hurth and it hold true on ZF( owns Hurth ) many twin disc and capital gears also (as noted in my post about later engines )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

From Velvet Dive .

http://rnr-marine.com/TROJAN/Borg-Warne ... _Specs.pdf

You will note it says output is the same as the engine except where noted :roll:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

DANTE wrote:Im sure this topic has been beatin to death at least a million times, but on a 79 F 32 with chryslers, what direction does the port engine rotate ?
thanks
Our 78 f32 with 360 chryslers has the port engine turning ccw when viewed from the flywheel end and that would be cw when viewed from the front----- Mike
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Just been on my 1978 F32 today... The starboard engine is the one with distributor spacer and the output of the engine according to the arrows is CW.
The port engine is standard and the output rotates CCW... A quick look at the props confirm this.

Am I reading things correctly when I say that it seems kneedeep was in fact kneedeep in BS and the one who was wrong?? :shock:
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

All of this snarkyness is making seasick. :lol:

My F32, the starboard engine is the opposite rotation engine and my port engine is standard rotation, the same as in my brother's 1977 F32. We both have the BW Velvet drives with Crusaders.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

so is mine.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International