Genny fuel pickup

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Genny fuel pickup

Post by larryeddington »

I have new custom tanks from SP Tanks per my design to install in my F28. The boat has a genny which pulls fuel from the fuel manifold for the drive engines. There are pros and cons of this arrangement, fuel starvation etc. My current system works fine but I want to install the new tanks. I would like the genny to pull from both tanks so as not to deplete one of them. Is there any reason the Genny fuel pump cannot pull from a Y type tubing arrangement. As the tanks are empty and have not had any fuel in them now would be the time for this alteration.

On the other hand one empty tank is not disaster, you can limp home.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
g36
Moderate User

Re: Genny fuel pickup

Post by g36 »

i take it you did not specify a fuel pickup for genset in either of the new tanks? if you have another pickup on the new tank then check the length of the gen pickup tube and cut it shorter as not to drain the tank so you have fuel to get home.
the gen will only use apx 1 gal/hr at 100% load so at 50 % or so you might be using 1/2 -3/4 /hr, not very much. are you just going to tee off the fuel lines before the manifold to get fuel to the genset? i think i would want at least a selector valve just in case. bad fuel/water who knows what else and not just a wye from both. like it is i dont know you would have an issue with fuel starvation while running the gen but you could always upsize the fuel lines to the manifold if you dont do anything else.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

X2 The pick should always be shorter for the genset
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

presently the genset gets fuel from a shutoff on manifold, has ran fine this way with no problems. Some members a while back stated that was a concern, I guess if mine works fine leave it alone might wake something up.

Thanks for thoughts.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink