WD40 on battery terminals?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

vickyb

WD40 on battery terminals?

Post by vickyb »

One of my battery leads (+) has a wingnut screwed on that is STUCK. Simply cannot remove it without breaking it and I am afraid it might break the battery post. Is it ok to spray WD40 on the post to loosen the wing nut? Any other ideas?

Thanks
Last edited by vickyb on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
87 Trojan International
Fiberglass Hull
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: WD40 on battery terminals?

Post by Stripermann2 »

Sure...take a pair of channel locks or pliers and while holding the terminal, see if you can loosen the wing nut. (Turn counter clockwise)
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
vickyb

Post by vickyb »

Hi Jamie. Tried that, so did the mechanic. Way too tight and will most likely break if more pressure is put with pliers... WD40 would loosen it? is that safe to spray on a + battery terminal?

Thanks
87 Trojan International
Fiberglass Hull
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

WD 40 isn't a good penetrate. It's good for gun barrels, keeping rust off metal and light lubrication. Get yourself some PB Blaster at least... and try that. You can get it at hardware and automotive stores. Yellow spray can.
If it's gonna break, it's gonna break.

Does your battery have a post where the main battery cable is attached, then a smaller post and wing nut set-up? If you're trying to remove, clean or replace a wire on this smaller terminal, how about just cutting the wire from the bolt and re-attaching it to one of the lager posts? Just take the bolt and nut off, holding the larger cable on post and use that to secure the wire with a new ring connector on it. Problem solved.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Is the battery worth saving? if so, get a nut splitter (less than 20.00 at Sears / Craftsman) and simply break it to remove it without worrying about breaking the stud.

Also, it is my understanding that wing nuts are no longer accepted as the correct method of installing a battery, you should use a hex nut. I always use a little silicone grease on battery terminal and the stud and I don't have corrosion, galling or seized hardware issues. (was going to say seized nuts, but saw the joke in that right away! :D )

Oh, and to answer your question, WD-40 will not hurt a battery post, but as previously posted, there are better penetrants out there than WD-40.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

If you want to save the cost of a nut splitter take a small thin metal hacksaw and gently cut through the side of the nut until you just see the tops of the threads of the post. Then take a thin bladed screwdriver and pry open the slot you just made in the nut and it should break apart.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay