Frustrating Leak in a 1985 trojan 10 meter

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

golfgood

Frustrating Leak in a 1985 trojan 10 meter

Post by golfgood »

I have a 1985 10 Meter sedan bridge. I have a leak that is coming thru the bulkhead just aft of the galley and runs thru and then in front of the bulkhed forward down the port stringer and enters a weep hold in hatch in galley and drops down into forward bilge just in front of the head. It is salt water and seems to activate when boat has been run. We have searched high and low with no luck. Appears to be an insert laid glassed on to the hull and i am thinking it may be running under the insert. Any one out there with any ideas?

David dwg4201@cox.net
David Gray
San Diego California
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

On our 1983 10 meter flybridge/aft cabin the louvered vent on the starboard side on the main salon went nowhere and all it did was allow water to leak into the boat. You might have someone run a hose in the direction of the vent while watching it from inside. A friend of ours with a 1987 10 meter had the same leak.
Wes
golfgood

10 meter leek

Post by golfgood »

Thanks Wes, The boat is in salt water and the leak is salty so dont believe it it coming from above. But I am interested is what you have to say. Under my starboard vent is a sliding door storage. Everytime it rains, it gets wet. What did you do to solve it?

David
David Gray
San Diego California
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

Hi David,

I hope I've solved it. This winter I pulled the vent and glued a piece of plexi to the back of the vent after I had mounted 4 regular hose nozzles to the plexi. I'm planning on running 4 pieces of regular garden hose from the back of the vent down to the engine room since originally that vent was supposed to provide air to the engines. I have been having a problem with the starboard engine when first throttling up and I'm thinking that maybe it was getting starved for air. If this doesn't work I'm afraid I have to replace the fuel pump. Bummer.

I have a lot of work to do to our beauty before she's relaunched this Spring. I had the bottom sand blasted and have 7 coats to put on the bottom when the weather warms a little.

As far as the salt water goes, if you get any spray over the deck it could get into the vent also.

Good luck and keep in touch. My regular e-mail is DiLuna@aol.com.

Wes