10M drain plug--what exactly does it drain?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ltbrett

10M drain plug--what exactly does it drain?

Post by ltbrett »

I thought a drain plug was a pretty simple device. Put a hole in the transom in the lowest part of the bilge so water drains out when you pull the plug. Except mine doesn't seem to work that way (1982 10M express). My aft bilge is full of water, backing through the limber holes to the engine room. The boat is on the hard, the drain plug is out, and the boat is pitched back. Today I stuck a 7 foot steel rod into the drain hole as far as it would go, expecting it to come out somewhere. It didn't. No sign of it on either side of the fuel tank. What am I missing? :?:

Brett
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

The 10 Meter International was engineered and built with a LINER SYSTEM.

This provides additional structural stregnth and integrity to the hull design.

There are four bulkheads in this vessel two seperating the engine room from the lazarette/fuel tank area aft, another between the engine room fwd and two fwd of the engine room.

From the aft bulkhead, the aft portion of the liner has a drain hole in the bottom of the lazeette. Look at the center of the liner, centerline of the vessel in the lazerette, close to the engine room bulkhead.) If this is plugged with debris, it will hold water and not allow it to fully drain when the drain plug is removed.

This also indicates that you may have a problem with your REAR bilge pump, which is located between the fuel tank and the transom, may be faulty.

Check this pump, switch and wiring.

RWS
ltbrett

Post by ltbrett »

Thanks, RWS. I couldn't find a drain hole in the lazarette, so I think I'll install a drain plug near the aft bilge pump. The pump is working fine, btw. The batteries are out for the season. Right now it's too darn cold to do anything!

Brett
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

The hole isabout 1/4" and is at the bottom of the lazarette, in the centerline of the boat. It's probablyfull of trash and may require a good flushing with a high pressure garden hose in the spring.
ltbrett

Post by ltbrett »

The only thing I found was a glassed area about 4" in diameter, centerline, halfway between the engine room bulkhead and the sole support in the lazarette. Perhaps someone glassed the drain over. The engine room bilge is lower than the lazarette, so perhaps that is supposed to drain under the liner. Today I bought 12' of 1/4 steel rod. I'll see if I can reach the engine room. Thank you for your help!

Brett
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

You need to keep all that water out of there as your aluminum fuel tank is sitting in water.

You can always drill a hole in the liner, no harm there.

Get that water out of the bpat you could be creating electrolysis between that tank and other dissimilar metals to a degree even if it isn't salt water.

RWS
ltbrett

Post by ltbrett »

OK, hole drilled and lazarette drained. I poked a rod all the way to the engine room bulkhead. Perhaps there is a clogged limber hole in the engine room bilge--I'll have to poke around down there at some point. The generator bolcks access to the bulkhead, so I'm not looking forward to rooting around down there. Thanks for keeping up with this thread.

Brett
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I can confirmthe location of the drain hole.

Lazerette bottom, center line about 3" forward of the fuel tank.

RWS
ltbrett

Post by ltbrett »

Thanks. I have a support for the sole in that spot. I'll look to see if there is a hole underneath. The hole I drilled is about 3" forward of where you describe.

Brett
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

This is directly underneath the lazerette door on my 1983 10 Meter express. The supports for the cockpit sole are outboard of the fuel tank. The tank fits between the inside stringers.

If you have a support in there it may have some "flex" in it as there's a gap between the liner and the hull.

RWS