## of Hours on Crusader big blocks...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

cuppa

## of Hours on Crusader big blocks...

Post by cuppa »

? for all the owners who have Crusader Motors Currently installed. I am looking for a sampling from Current owners to see what the average number of hours is that you can get out of one of these motors.

Looking at a 1985 F36 and there are 1000 hours on it. How many hours can I expect to get out of these motors?

Any advice is appreciated.. Looking for individuals that currently have them and can say I have X hours, along with with any one who has estimates...

Thanks

Brian
Last edited by cuppa on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have owned may boats , and have worked many more . I have seen engines shot in a few hundred hours and others running great after thousands of hours . I have replace/overhauld many failed engines . I have seen stuck rings ,valves , bearings failed locked up engine etc.
But one thing I have never seen is a engine fail in a pleasure boat from having to many hours you just don't wear out pleasure engine . I would worry more about low hours then high hours . how its taken care of and ran is the most impotant . I had one custmer who replace his engine every 3 years (1500-1800 hours ) just becuse. all his old engines were sold and put in others boats and ran for many more years . I know of none that have failed.( I use to work at a marina )

bottom line worry more about the condtion/care of the engine then the hours. the 5.7 is a good base engine and Crusader is a good company .
Yes have seen engine wear out in work /charter boats but not at a 1000 hours .
sorry about the long winded answer

Is this boat a tri cabin or a conv? The reson I asked is the conv came with big blocks . the tri cabins had both but most were small blocks .
what is the H.P. of the engines ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
cuppa

Post by cuppa »

This is a big block.. am in incorrect stating it is a 5.7 it is a Convertible..

Thanks Brian
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

A big block would most likely a 7.4 or a 8.1 . just becuse they came with a big block that dosent mean they were replace with big blocks .
someone could have repowered with small blocks . do you have any photos of the Engines ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

Prowlersfish,

What do you think of the Mercruiser 233hp (351)? Would I benefit by upgrading to electronic ignition? I have about 1100 hrs on mine.

Thanks
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It won't hurt anything and would get rid of the points . The people that have changed over That I have talked to were happy they did it . the guy I sold my f30 ( with 351) to did it and said it made the boat run much better . but he then never used it . LOL . I would do it but hold ont the old parts as a get home just in case .Not that I have seen any proplems the only one I had to fix was due to striped screws on the plate causeing a lose ground. this was a install issue that would have cause it not to run with points also .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
cuppa

Post by cuppa »

Would it be a positive or negative if it was repowered with twin 5.7"s which is a better motor?

Thanks
Brian
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Brian , I would say a negative as the boat maybe under powered. even if it was not under powered most people would think of it that way .
can you tell me the H.P. of the engine ? the 5.7 in the higher HP ratings may have the power needed . I saw a carver 38ft I think that when from big blocks to small block EFI.(5.7) and got faster to my suprize . I would do a sea trial and see how it runs . use a gps to check the speed. ride on a big block F36 to compair . or get some one own has one go with you . on the pluse side the way gas prices are going it may be easier to sell a small block people could think it be better on fuel ( it won't be )( unless EFI )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels