V drive Cooler

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Dante D

V drive Cooler

Post by Dante D »

hello, just finished installing my port engine,
the transmission is a Hurth V drive, which uses a cooler inline with the intake raw water to help cool the trans fluid
here is my question

I am currently looking for a cooler as I dont have one for my port engine,
do you think its ok, to run the engine at low speeds while setting up the engine etc, until I find the correct cooler for the trans
the two lines from the trans are not connected to anything, and I would have to find a union to connect the two, or can I just plug the in and out of these lines while running the engine
I did find a cooler I had in my garage I was thinking of using temporarily, but it has clamp on fittings on the cooler itself, , I was going to use it in the interum, does anyone know what kind of pressure the lines carry the oil with? will clamps work on the cooler, until I replace it with the correct one?
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: V drive Cooler

Post by larryeddington »

my coolers have made on fittings on hoses, no clamps there, on the water side clamps.

I have two Chrysler coolers, look the same as the ones on my crusader 270s. New ones are available for most any power source.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You can run it for a few minutes with the cooler bypassed

Make sure the cooler you get will take the pressure of your gear . some gears run very high pressure in there coolers . I know the ones for my ZF have be rated for 250 or 350 psi . I would burst a Velvet drive cooler on start up lol .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

thanks, but can I just put a threaded plug in where the lines come out of the transmission for now so I can run the engine at my dock while finishing up and waiting for the cooler to come, or does fluid have to come in and out of those ports?
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Dante D wrote:thanks, but can I just put a threaded plug in where the lines come out of the transmission for now so I can run the engine at my dock while finishing up and waiting for the cooler to come, or does fluid have to come in and out of those ports?

I can't really tell you what to do here,don't really know about the trans /v drive you have but here is how I would look at it....if there is oil in those fluid lines there must be a pump I would not dead head an oil pump no matter what......now if the engine does not turn the input shaft to the trans /vdrive then it doesn't matter what you do so long as it does not go in gear....I would venture a guess that if you are talking about the trans attached directly to the back of the engine then when the engine is running the trans pump will be turning as well....just some thoughts here..be careful...do you have the manual for it ??.....I think I would just wait for the cooler and connect it all up with proper fluid levels, those things are too expensive to risk it.....Mike
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

thanks Mike,
I think I already know my answer and your right, if the ports are there, then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well you know. I guess Ill just wait, what I did in the interum is hook up an old power steering cooler I had laying around and used clamps,, seems to be ok but I most certainly would not trust it permanently
I already ordered the correct cooler and plan on sending my lines out when it comes in
Its not like I have nothing else to do on the boat,,lol.