F-36 Dual Helm Stations

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

cuppa

F-36 Dual Helm Stations

Post by cuppa »

Does anybody know if the late model 1989 F36 had Dual Helm stations... It does not appear that they did....

What is the reason for this?

For those of you that currently have an F36.. Do you use the lower station and can you safely operate the vessel from this location?

Thanks
Brian
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I have a 1973 F36 with dual stations. I've used the lower station only twice. Once in the fall when temp dropped into the 40s and I needed to make a run up to the gas dock. It was perfectly fine to operate from the lower helm. The other time, it was raining cats and dogs. I scurried down to the lower station to get protection from the elements (and thought the wipers might help me). Even though the lower helm has fan trying to keep the windshield clear, within about 15 minutes, it fogged over and I couldn't even see the bow railing. We sat for about an hour till the weather passed.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about not having a lower station. I'd take the extra space in the salon and store some foul weather gear in the closet.

Mitch
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I have duel station on my F30 and have never used the lower station. I boat in the Sacramento Delta and there can be logs and other things in the water you don't want to hit.......the flybridge offers excellent visability in all directions where the lower helm limits forward visability considerably.........
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have only used it once when my gear control broke . it is nice to have when working on the engines . but I rather have a big LCD tv there .( It still may happen)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

Here is another point of view on the lower helm.

I have a F32 with a lower helm station and every time the weather gets crappy on a long trip and I have a few guests on board we all go down and I pilot from the salon area. There is less movement in rough seas from there and I can hear everything from engine issues to bilge pumps to guests knocking things over in the galley. The other big thing is the isenglass on the bridge doesnt offer great visibility in heavy rain so even though the bow is up more in front of me from the lower helm, the windshield wipers more than compensate. Plus my boating season can even go into the winter months with my cabin heaters going.

It would take alot of convincing for me to give up the lower, but thats mostly because I have set my style of boating around it. I love it.
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
JuiceClark
Moderate User

like it

Post by JuiceClark »

I never used the lower helm until recently. When the autopilot is on, once in a while I'll go downstairs to...well...get a another beer or something. Out in the Gulf, a crab trap or something would come up and I could grab the lower helm and steer around it. After a while, I just started staying down there. Kinda comfy...but really easy to get distracted, fall asleep or start watching the TV instead of the road!

Tony in Sw FL
1982 F-36
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

we just bought clear lexan windshields for the bimini and side curtains,, I hate driving from down below.. make me feel like a snail boater :roll: :roll:
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
JuiceClark
Moderate User

did someone say F-44?

Post by JuiceClark »

Hey Buknekkid,

Did you see that F-44 that sold in Ft. Laud. last summer for only $75k? It had triple nickels in it...otherwise it was pristine. The guy used it for a charter boat for 15 years without a problem. I only see this one in MI still for sale now. Love that model:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 55969&url=
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

heres the deal

Post by Buckknekkid »

i have to get a reasonable price for ours, then low ball someone with diesels. Its cheaper than paying for the fuel I use..
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
cuppa

Post by cuppa »

Buk, What would you sell yours for? anyprice in mind?
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

Canadian prices are in the $50 to 60K but the market says lower :cry: :cry: it would sell for the cost of my Crusader XLs probably
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
cuppa

Post by cuppa »

Do you have pictures of it finished? I see the pics of it in progress you have done a fine job... but I don't see any with it done..
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

its a boat ITS NEVER DONE!!! Im in the construction business and when Im not building something on land I do it on water,, email me ,, buckknekkid@hotmail and I''ll send some pics on the water..http://www.barclaydevelopments.com/temp ... CF0002.JPG
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

cuppa wrote:Do you have pictures of it finished? I see the pics of it in progress you have done a fine job... but I don't see any with it done..

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showth ... post186332
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

"Does anybody know if the late model 1989 F36 had Dual Helm stations... It does not appear that they did....

What is the reason for this?"

My guess would be that it's less expensive having a wetbar.

"For those of you that currently have an F36.. Do you use the lower station and can you safely operate the vessel from this location? "

I have the F32, same configuration. I always drive from the flybridge. Although I have complete coverage up top with my enclosure. The sense of being right there in the center of the boat with equal visibilty all around makes it more comfortable, to me.
If I drive from the lower helm, I first need to remove my windshield cover. Yes it's safe...To each, his own I suppose.