Now I own two

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Now I own two

Post by rickalan35 »

Well, I pulled the trigger today on an eleven meter express. I think it's in pretty good condition.

A September 2014 survey showed up a couple of wet spots in the engine bulkheads, so I arranged for the surveyor to re-enter this morning and drill test holes with a 1/2” Forstner bit.

Test holes showed the GRP roving to be approximately 3/16” thick and the wood shavings from the core samples to be hard and solid. When prodded with an awl the wood inside the holes was hard and firm. Surveyor pronounced boat sound. So, done deal. I have to ship the boat by truck to my location. Test holes were repaired using the West System.

Now I guess I have every boaters dream..... maybe - Two Trojans in the garage.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Now I own two

Post by prowlersfish »

Congrats !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
CaptG

Post by CaptG »

You will love the 11 meter. They are awesome boats.
Gary
Miss Vicki
10 meter international express
F32 express
S. Haven, Mi.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Welcome to the Two-Boat club. For me, I hope I am not a member much longer.

Will you end up parting with your F Model?
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

They take up some space but youll always have a boat to enjoy lol, I had 3 F32's a few months ago, one im keeping, one sold and one the buyer will pay a small balance before he picks up, cheers and congratulations on the purchase
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

welcome to my world of owning two Trojans. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Sounds like a lot of people got there ahead of me :)
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Well, tomorrow is delivery day. Boat being trucked here. Happiest day of a boaters life may indeed be the day he takes delivery and also the day he sells it. I must say though, that Heather and I are pretty pumped about meeting the boat hauler at the marina sometime around 2 pm...... hopefully. :) Wish us luck.

Rick
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

luck! :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
gumper
Sporadic User

Post by gumper »

Congratulations Rick. Where are you keeping your boat this summer?
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

The New (to me) Trojan arrived and all is good. The hauler had a brand new hydraulic trailer and he deposited the boat on the hard like a pro. My wife and I were very pleased after we had crawled all over it. It may shock some people here but I bought it sight unseen after ordering two surveys and then arranging to have test holes drilled in the engine stringers.... but, until I saw it today, I'd never seen an 11 meter express in the flesh. It's worth noting here that the deck is cored and the sides and bottom are solid fiberglass. Swim platform cored. As I have previously mentioned here, I specifically didn't want a cored hull and will live with the cored deck especially since this one proved to be dry.
Turns out that the seller owned the boat since 2008 and mostly left it on the dock apparently as a haven to play cards with his cronies. Interior rarely used in any fashion and is in lovely condition. The starboard exterior is filthy and the port side is pretty clean as he docked it to port and kept that particular side fairly cleaned up. That will all change pretty fast. Boat is still winterized and we need to wash down the canvas enclosure and re-install which we hope to complete tomorrow.

by gumper » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:35 pm Congratulations Rick. Where are you keeping your boat this summer?

Hey Gumper, Great to hear from you. New boat will be berthed at Bayview Marina in Portland. We missed Big Rideau Lake enough to want to be here this season. The TriCabin also spent the winter at Bayview. I suspect your Trojan spent the winter in Merrickville.... right? I guess I'll sell my Tricabin from the Bayview location. If I get $12,000 in my hands, I'll take it so if you know anyone, send them my way. Other than that I hope you two are fine and those puppies of yours braved the cold winter temps in fine fashion. Take care, RD
gordd
Sporadic User

Post by gordd »

Congrot .. makes we wanna get a 10 meter now lol
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Do it, Gordd - everyone should own two Trojans.

Got the canvas enclosure washed and de-mildewed today. I may never figure out how it all goes back together. One zipper needs replacing and two of the plastic windows are toast. I will either get them repaired or replaced. My wife spent 4 hours cleaning the galley while her best friend cleaned the forward sleeping area and I monkeyed around with the enclosure.
The previous owner sent me literally everything, bless his heart. Dirty rags, dead flashlights, mildewed foam beer holders (9) etc etc. Four garbage bags of loot so far. We will replace everything but aside from the need for complete cleaning on the inside and buffing/wax on the outside there is little to be disappointed about.

The hand railings everywhere on the boat are painted white from the factory (I take it powder coating wasn't around in '94) and they are chipped for some reason. Looks bad and I will no doubt arrange for them all of them to be removed and repainted this coming winter. The sun tanning pad on the deck is mostly toast as well. Have removed it and will do without it until I get it completely repaired or replaced depending on my favourite upholstery guy's advice. Bottom paint is okay but I will tape and touch up the strip above the waterline. Mildewed fenders were pressure sprayed at the car wash. Surprisingly enough, no mildew inside cabin anywhere so the mildew on the enclosure is probably a result of shrink wrap.

Finally got around to popping the engine hatch and found the engine bay to be a little cleaner than I expected. The surveyor had listed it as dirty, but I've seen worse. I crawled around in there for a while. Looks okay. Meant to find out if I had strainers on the intake hoses, the kind that I can clean out but forgot to look.

RD
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Had to work all day and then finally drove out to the marina by 4:30 to try and get the canvas enclosure back onto the new boat (by myself) = failure. The biggest section is termed the Bimini Top Assembly in the manual (yes, I have all the original paperwork and that includes instructions on how to mount the enclosure). Well, it turned out to be just too tough for me to do, so I'll try again tomorrow. I hope we get one more day without rain, or else my cockpit upholstery etc is going to end up soaked.

On another note, instead of the velvet transmissions it appears as though I have Borg Warner's. Hopefully that's an upgrade and not vice versa - any idea Prowler/Big Jim?

Rick
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

rickalan35 wrote:Had to work all day and then finally drove out to the marina by 4:30 to try and get the canvas enclosure back onto the new boat (by myself) = failure. The biggest section is termed the Bimini Top Assembly in the manual (yes, I have all the original paperwork and that includes instructions on how to mount the enclosure). Well, it turned out to be just too tough for me to do, so I'll try again tomorrow. I hope we get one more day without rain, or else my cockpit upholstery etc is going to end up soaked.

On another note, instead of the velvet transmissions it appears as though I have Borg Warner's. Hopefully that's an upgrade and not vice versa - any idea Prowler/Big Jim?

Rick
Rick , I missed the post but found it looking for engine info ( still not found lol) Velvet drive transmissions are Borg Warner .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D