removal of flybridge for a 1981 f30

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

GARYGA

removal of flybridge for a 1981 f30

Post by GARYGA »

hello, i could use information on how to take off a flybridge on a 1981 f30.
and then where to store it on the boat as im trailoring it from utah to new york. also do you think 4 men could lift it after it is detached. thank you
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Haven't done it on an F30 but should be like my F32, to some degree.

Label all wiring, hydraulic controls, etc and disconnect all from flybridge cowling, remove portions of stainless railing only necessary for for rear of bridge. Most cowlings are screwed down to bridge deck.

Three guys can easily remove. Place on the bow of boat and secure with foam blocks or similar, during transit...
GARYGA

Post by GARYGA »

thanks for your reply. im getting a bit nervouse, but i am going to try and do it in about 4 weeks. if three of us could safly lift it to the bow(?) that would be great. do yu think that it would rest their for a long 2000 mile journey better then in the aft of the boat.

thanks for your time GG
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

Hauled my F32 that way.....Bow is the easiest to drop it down to. It was alot bigger than I thought (width wise) and to walk forward on the deck was easiest while keeping it flat. We did it with 4 guys and could not believe how light it was for the size.

We also put the helm station down on the back deck.
Also get your self some RATCHET style hold down straps from homless depot these work to best to keep things tight. I think I paid $15 for (4) last time. Dont try to save money and use dock lines, things will shift vibrate and scratch.
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

As Mac32 said...that's the way I did it.
But on his F30, the console is part of the forward bridge, I believe...
GARYGA

Post by GARYGA »

THANKS "YOUS GUYS" (NY SLANG)

I'M COMMITTED TO DOING THIS, AT THIS TIME AND HAVE STARTED THE PROCESS OF GETTING OTHER THINGS READY FOR REMOVAL DAY. WHICH WILL HAPPEN IN ABOUT 5 OR 6 WEEKS. I WILL REPORT ON THE PROCESS FOR ANY ONE ELSE WHGO MAY BE CONSIDERING A MOVE LIKE THIS. THANKS GARY GA
JuiceClark
Moderate User

quick tip

Post by JuiceClark »

When I took my flybridge off and set it on the bow (was rebuilding the bridge deck), I layed the bridge helm down on its side so I didn't have to disconnect everything. However, I layed it back on the steering wheel and that screwed up the linkage and caused about a quart of hydraulic fluid to leak all over everything. Moreover, I had to pay someone smarter than me $200 to fix it.
So, if you're going to lean the helm over, lean it forward and not on the wheel.

Good luck...it's never that bad once you just resolve to do it.
GARYGA

Post by GARYGA »

thanks juiceclark

another day has passed and i'm still going ahead with my plans....

gary ga