1971 F31 hardtop trim tabs

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Dcibby85

1971 F31 hardtop trim tabs

Post by Dcibby85 »

hey all,
I have a 1971 F31 hardtop express with what I believe are the original trim tabs, they consist of what I would call a worm gear mounted to the inside of the transom with a rod that extends out the back. The further the rod comes out the more it pushes down on the tab. I'm hoping someone can tell me what company made this system or better yet if there is any kind of replacement motor for them seeing how both of mine are Missing in action. Thanks
Lou

Re: 1971 F31 hardtop trim tabs

Post by Lou »

I have the F31 Flybridge with what appears original trim tabs & motor. It's a larger motor, I believe I have the book on it. When I get back from Florida I'll see what I got hoping to help you out.
1972 - Trojan F31
1981 - Grady White Sailfish 25
1988 - Wellcraft 2800 Express
1966 - Chris Craft 36'
Tabman

Post by Tabman »

Dcibby85 wrote:hey all,
I have a 1971 F31 hardtop express with what I believe are the original trim tabs, they consist of what I would call a worm gear mounted to the inside of the transom with a rod that extends out the back. The further the rod comes out the more it pushes down on the tab. I'm hoping someone can tell me what company made this system or better yet if there is any kind of replacement motor for them seeing how both of mine are Missing in action. Thanks
You quite possibly have the original Bennett electric Tabs.

Here are a few (poor quality) photos:

Do they look like that?

We used to have the electric motors for them, but I will have to check to see if we still do. If you think this is them contact me at Tabmanhelp@gmail.com and I will look into the replacement motors for you.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I haven't seen a set of those in many many years . Lou I bet yours are the newer type .

Tom "Tabman" , its it worthwhile fixing those old style tabs or would it be better up grading ?? I guess that may depend on the contion of the rest of the system and the motor cost .

Dcibby85 how is the condition of the rest of the system ? inspect it good. I know Tabman will look out for you .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Tabman

Post by Tabman »

Prowler,

As you suspect it really depends on the condition of the rest of the system. I recall the part number for the old motors, but don't know the price or if we even have them any more. I will check with the factory Monday morning. If the gear case, Tabs, switch and wiring harness are all there and in good shape it might be worth fixing them up.

If not it really is time for a new system!

Tom
Bennett Marine
Dcibby85

Post by Dcibby85 »

Those look exactly like my tabs. the tabs and gear case are all in great shape and work when operated with a screw driver, the harness and switch panel are still there but will more than likely be replaced if and when I find motors for the tabs. The other question I had was if there is supposed to be some kind of bushing or adaptor that that would go between the motor and the gear housing. I appreciate all the help and information, I've been a full time technician at a marina in Iowa for 11 years now and this is the first time I've ever encountered these tabs so I'm a little bit "in the dark" on them!
Tabman

Post by Tabman »

I don't know about the bushing or how the motor was attached to the gear box. We stopped making them about 40 years ago :)

I do recall that the motor shaft is about 1/4" (maybe a little less) and has a slot in the end of it to engage the gears. I will ask if we have any scanned photos on Monday (I don't think we do).

Tom
Bennett Marine
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Lou wrote:I have the F31 Flybridge with what appears original trim tabs & motor. It's a larger motor, I believe I have the book on it. When I get back from Florida I'll see what I got hoping to help you out.
Lou , you have hydraulic trim tabs . Saw your boat today but you were not around , boat looks good . Came in by boat btw
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Tabman

Post by Tabman »

We checked and we no longer manufacture the motors for that system and unfortunately do not have any supporting documentation on the system.

Tom
Bennett Marine