1969 36' Tri-Cabin Generator

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ryankla

1969 36' Tri-Cabin Generator

Post by ryankla »

I recently bought a '69 36ft tri-cabin. I haven't spent too much time on the boat yet. My question is how do you start up the generator on it, and where is the external power hookups on the boat? Anything helps thanks.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Re: 1969 36' Tri-Cabin Generator

Post by aaronbocknek »

WOW!!!! welcome to the forum and to the family of tri cabin owners. just to fill you in, if you've not seen any of my posts, i grew up with the tri cabin. my mom and dad owned one straight from the factory with our own modifications from 1972 (the first year it was ''all fiberglass'', until 2007. i know this model inside and out. you are the owner of the ORIGINAL SEA RAIDER tri cabins........ fiberglass hull with wood from the decks on up. very rare indeed. and you have opening portlights in the forward head and forward stateroom too. a plus if you ask me. so, to your question........... if i recall, you have the onan mcck 6.5kw (we opted for a post delivery install of a kohler 7.5kw). the generator transfer switch should be mounted on the electrical panel, roughly lower center of the panel. the label 'should' read: SHORE OFF GEN or SHIP OFF SHORE. i've even seen some marked SHORE INV OFF GEN

FIRST.........turn off the main breakers.....turn the transfer switch from SHORE to OFF. then turn to GEN. the blowers may activate first for 5 minutes then the generator should start. that's how trojan originally wired the mcck on the tri cabins. once the genset starts, let it warm up for about 5 minutes then turn on the breakers. the volt meter should then register the voltage of the genset. do not be surprised if it is finicky starting up. these babies are old. a lot are showing their age. if i were you, i'd strongly recommend finding a mechanic that is familiar with the vintage onans to give it a once over and maybe a tune up. how long has it been since it has run? that will be the determining factor. once you get it running, run it for an hour at a 70% load at least once a week. it only burns a gallon of fuel an hour so it's well worth it to keep the brushes spinning (that generates the electrical field) and the engine parts moving. they were designed to run. not sit in the bilge as a paperweight.

the EXTERNAL POWER HOOKUPS should be on the aft deck, port and starboard under the coverboards. it also depends on how your boat is wired. some of the original tri cabins only came wired with ONE shore hookup, starboard side, since the electrical panel is located in the salon, starboard side (saves $$ when wiring the boat at the factory)

let me know if i can be of further assistance..........i (we) are here to assist. oh, and don't forget to download some pics for us to see!! WE LOVE PICS!!!

aaron, brad, maccabee, shakes..... the crew of the ENTERPRISE
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
ryankla

Re: 1969 36' Tri-Cabin Generator

Post by ryankla »

I am just now seeing your response, months later. Thank you for the info! That is definitely my boat from head to toe. Unfortunately I haven't been able to spend a lot of time on the boat. I am overseas now with the military. I am having a few things fixed and refurbished while I am over here. I might look into an upgraded generator as I intend to spend a lot of time on the boat when I get back.

The little bit of time I did spend on it I found a few things that need some fixing. Mostly I believe the sub-deck under the teak is rotten in a few places and is leaking up on the bow and near the star bird fuel nozzle. I want to have the sub deck replaced and possibly new teak or have It glassed over. I'm still debating. What would be your advice? Any idea on the cost of a job like that?