Toilet Fixet! (sort of...)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

Toilet Fixet! (sort of...)

Post by bjanakos »

I replaced the gasket set under the bowl and the toilet now holds water and builds up enough vacuum to flush. Bonus.

But it is leaking air somewhere because the vacuum pump will run for about 20 seconds every 5 minutes or so. I can also hear a very slight leak going on in the head area, but I just can't pin-point it. I am thinking I should change the duckbill valves just for good measure... Where would they me located?
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: Toilet Fixet! (sort of...)

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Duck bills are located on both sides of your pump at the inlet and outlet. They are regular maintenance items and should be changed every few years. Most vacuum issues are due to old or clogged.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Are they the standard 1 1/2"? Or are they a special part?
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Should be 1 1/2

yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I see you got promoted to the "head mechanic" on your boat!
Agree with Todd, change out the duckbill valves. I try to change mine every two or three years. not too hard to change depending on the access to your vacuum pump. also check your hose clamps to be sure they are tight. I have had to double clamp some before to get them to completely seal .

Good luck
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

No love with the duckbills. In fact, I was watching the vacuum gauge and the pressure falls off rather sharply and I can't find any obvious air leaks.

I'll try the double-clap trick.

I have read issues on other boards about the hoses... This hose is corrugated with green rubber fittings on each end. what would I want to replace it with?
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Next step would be to replace hoses.

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

bjanakos wrote:No love with the duckbills. In fact, I was watching the vacuum gauge and the pressure falls off rather sharply and I can't find any obvious air leaks.

I'll try the double-clap trick.

I have read issues on other boards about the hoses... This hose is corrugated with green rubber fittings on each end. what would I want to replace it with?
Sounds like you have the wrong hose, those connections don't hold......get the white sealand smooth inside hose the a little better quality choice,a little hard to work with but with the right tools easy stuff.....FYI changed out all of ours and replaced with a mix of that hose and white plastic pipe for most of it as our holding tank is under the cockpit deck......vacuum holds from one week to the next.....Mike
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I know the hose you speak of as I use it for my bilge pumps and wash-down pumps. But does it need to be the "Odor Safe" hose?

With that being said, I think the whole point is moot. There is a crack in the porcelain bowl in the rear where the collar attaches. I recall seeing it when I replaced the gasket set and I thought it was just a hairline crack. But water in the bowl eventually seeps through there over the course of a few days. So if water gets through, air must also.

Looks like I am either in the hunt for a new bowl, or an entire new toilet. It's a Mansfield 848 if anyone knows of a suitable replacement, or has one laying around.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

bjanakos wrote:I know the hose you speak of as I use it for my bilge pumps and wash-down pumps. But does it need to be the "Odor Safe" hose?

With that being said, I think the whole point is moot. There is a crack in the porcelain bowl in the rear where the collar attaches. I recall seeing it when I replaced the gasket set and I thought it was just a hairline crack. But water in the bowl eventually seeps through there over the course of a few days. So if water gets through, air must also.

Looks like I am either in the hunt for a new bowl, or an entire new toilet. It's a Mansfield 848 if anyone knows of a suitable replacement, or has one laying around.
You should try fixing it with epoxy first. And the hose you want is specifically a soil line, odor safe hose.

bigrgh

Post by bigrgh »

Last season i replaced my bowl....mansfield 900, could not source one from any of the parts suppliers found online. ended up finding just the bowl on ebay for 80 bucks,shipped!! was a different model number but the bowl was exactly the same as mine!!! seller made very good measurements for me and i was able to determine it was the same size for my application. the bottom flange on my bowl was completely disintegrated from tiny cracks and probably years of water seeping into the cracks and freezing over winter. i was pulling the toilet out to fix a leaky valve (which is available new) but the sanitation hose was so stiff when i pulled the bowl up the flange broke completely off! i replaced the bowl last year and all worked good but a leak kept the pump coming on every ten minutes. i found the bottom fitting on the "funnel" is an elbow, and that was cracked. so i ordered a new funnel kit and both gaskets. All available new..and tomorrow when i put it all together i am going to replace the stiff hose with a new one.I ordered parts from Enviromentalmarine.com with great results. they have breakdown diagrams and part number lists that are easy to use, Seacoast services carries a lot of the parts needed to service these toilets. i used "traveler 506+" for locating some of my parts.
Slippery When Wet
84- 10meter
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

I've used seacoast services, and they seem very helpful. I called with a question, and they are very accomodating. Might be worth a call if you had questions about the toilet.

Breezy 1

Post by Breezy 1 »

Larson's has the duckbill valves in stock normally. Use rector seal #5 pipe dope on all the hose fittings were you have a clamp it really helps.
Capt. Shawn
Breezy 1 Sportfishing
http://www.breezy1charters.com
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Thanks Shawn,

Ill try the pipe dope trick.