cutlass bearing

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

wvernie

cutlass bearing

Post by wvernie »

I own a 1976 Trojan SportYacht Cruiser and am trying to figure out how to get the Cutlass bearing out. Is there a tool for the job or do I have to try and pull the shaft?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

wvernie,
I have seen tools to remove the cutlass , may be custom made . The way I do it is to remove the strut and use a press . I have used a vise and a punch to remove them ,sometimes they need to be cut out ( again strut off boat ) make sure the shaft is supported with the strut removed .
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Fairly easy after you get the strut off. Cut it with a sawzall two places 180 degrees apart being careful not to cut the strut and it will fall out.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
wvernie

Post by wvernie »

I was hoping that I would be able to drive it out with something but I don't believe thats going to happen. Are there any kind of set screws in the strut to prevent me from doing that?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Some have set screws some do not . you just have to look real good ,
you may need to clean it up some .

Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

How about pressing the old one out by pressing the new one in without removing the strut or shaft. Remove the prop and key, slip the new bushing over the shaft and using a three jaw puller or something similar anchored on the strut, press the old one out with the new one. You'll probably have to make up some kind of sleve for the puller. Once the old one is thru, part it with an angle grinder & zip disc.

I haven't got it all figured out yet but I think i'm on the right track.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
jimini

Post by jimini »

Paul that could damage the new bearing by placing too much force against the outside surfaces.... IMHO its not a good idea.
You've gotta be tough if you're gonna be STUPID!

jimini
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

imo remove the strut have the old bearing removed clean and check the strut for damage where the old bearing was and have the new one pressed in . we deal a lot with pressed bearings and races. most of the time there made to go in one direction so remove ,clean to a polish , inspect and install note and very importent do not use sandpaper to clean the bore. you will change the diameter or grove the bore. a soft wire brush like what you would use on your grill will work fine.
ltbrett

Post by ltbrett »

There is a tool made for pressing out old strut bearings removing only the propeller. I used one last year with mixed success. It looks like a flanged pipe, split down the middle like a clam shell. The inside diameter is your shaft diameter, and you drive it with either a hammer or a hydraulic press. I had no success with a hammer, and I was afraid I'd damage the strut mounts. The yard came by and pressed it out in a couple of minutes hydraulicly. Well worth the price to have the pros do this one. I think I paid about $200 per shaft, parts included.

Brett
wvernie

Post by wvernie »

The time has come to tackle this cutlass bearing, This boat is a 1976 model with a 1 inch shaft, it appears that the bearing is 4 inches long, now the big question is how thick is the metal on the shaft or does anyone know from past experiences which bearing I need. Thanks ..WV Ernie
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

wvernie

Post by wvernie »

The cutlass bearing came out easier than I thought it would, after removing the strut and getting it in a vice it came out with the friendly persuasion of a ball pein hammer, a thick flat washer and an old impact socket. Thanks for all the friendly advice you guys sent my way. WV Ernie