looking to buy a 1979 Trojan Express Cruiser f25

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

twekd1

looking to buy a 1979 Trojan Express Cruiser f25

Post by twekd1 »

so i'm looking to trade my boat for this 1979 Trojan Express Cruiser f25
please let me know what to look for as in problems with these boats, also how does the transmission work? and will i have power in the boat without shore power? i want to be well informed be for i do the trade
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

Well Twekd1, you have come to the right forum to get information on you Trojan, if you look thru the pages of this forum you will find the answers to most of you questions. Or at least give you the information to ask more questions. It all depends on the boat and what the owner has installed in your boat. You will probably will not have power on your boat when off dock other than 12 vole unless you have a generator installed. Look over this boat very good for any kind of stringer rot, not that this is a killer, it is just a lot of work, time and money. Welcome aboard Captain.
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I'll second everything Rick said and add one more piece of advise.

Pay a surveyor to survey the boat!!!!

Welcome and good luck.
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

Unless you're really locked on to a specific F25 you may want to look at\for an F26. Before I bought my F26(1979) I was looking at an F25(1978 I think) There is a difference in the layout and the F26 just felt "roomier"-even though there is only 1 foot difference. The only problem I've had is having to chase cabin leaks-around window frames. But as noted by others-you may want to have a survey done prior to any purchase.
twekd1

jolly for a bigger boat

Post by twekd1 »

Im definatly too cheep to pay for someone else to look at the boat. (im very handy) Im doing a even trade for a newer speed boat that I own.This will be my second year I have my boat at monroe harbor in chicago. I have had boats for about 6 years now but nothing with trim tabs or no outdrive. Can someone explain that whole concept? of the velvet drive? where leaks can happen with the exhaust and propeller(dont wana sink) what the typical problems are besides rot?

The whole reason in doing the trade is the girls I bring out there want a bathroom with a door, and im just looking for a little more stable of a ride when the 5-6 foot waves come off some of the party boats wake after the fireworks at navy pier.
jimini

Post by jimini »

A marine surveror isn't "someone else" he's a professional trained person to look for things you are asking us! He/she will look at things most inexperienced skippers don't even think about, find things that maybe small items now that will grow into larger problems later. I have been boating over forty two years and just in the process of buying a Trojan and would NEVER think about paying for a boat without a professional marine survey being done before hand. It's like money in the bank to have a marine survey done... it lessen the chances of being surprised with huge amount of expense after the boat is purchased and also provides a professional statement that points out defects that the buyer can use to lower the asking price of the boat... therefore paying for the marine survey costs at closing.. I would advise you to get a marine survey!
You've gotta be tough if you're gonna be STUPID!

jimini
twekd1

Post by twekd1 »

well i just dont have the money for that , if you can tell me other problem areas that would be cool of you

Thanks Tim
wowzer52
Active User

buying a Trojan

Post by wowzer52 »

Take the time to go to a marine repair boat yard that has boats on the hard(dry-docked) and look at everything on your list of questions that you have prepaired ahead of time. Ask the boat yard workers to show you the drive train, stringers that they are working on, electrical panels, plumbing, exhaust systems, and everything else that you will be working on in the future. seeing is believing. and its free knowledge. After that you'll grow to love this forum.
twekd1

Post by twekd1 »

im not sure, im asking simple questions and not getting answers. i build cars, unique cars for fun. so i know i have the skills to replace anything on a boat just looking for a head up on what to look for. no survay or anything like that im getting the boat for a trade and just wana be able to have a good summer partying on it. If i knew the normal problems with these boats i will look for them, other than that i know im taking a chance on having a pos.

here is a link to some of my builds

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13359133@N05/sets/

look around im not shy when someone asks for me to give a real answer but i expect the same form you people.
raymond workman

Post by raymond workman »

All you need to do is spend a hour or so reading the forum back to the first page and you can look at all he problems people have had all the boats were made about the same except for size thay all are haveing about the same problem depending on the up keep from the other owner and you know how that is if you restore cars theirs not much that a person thats good with is hands cant do on any of the boats and if you look close enough and take notes you will see other sights talked about that will give you more help on other web sights as well and . You can help other when you get into your project as they come up.This forum is like a self learning exp.As you learn from others that have already done the hard knocks for you. Good luck you can do it if you set you mind to it as you will see alot of boats have had their shair of work done to them.if you read the forums you will see just about anything that a surveyer is going to look for. Or you can buy new for 40,000 and up and do very little for 30 years and see what needs to be done then.And if it helps any i didnt get a survey but im doing a major overhaul and have more time than money and well retire on my project and then live on it .
75 trojan 30 ft 302 express fb
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

I once traded a beautiful 1967 Camaro RS for a beat up 1948 Willys Jeep. Everybody said I was nuts, even the guy who I traded with, but the Camaro wouldn't do what I wanted. I loved that Camaro and I had a blast with that Jeep. Partying on a boat with girls is great but partying on a boat with girls that are comfortable makes them stay a lot longer and it doesn't get any better than that. I know that when you have great times on a boat when you're young it will stick with you the rest of your life and that keeps people into boating, (it did me). There is a lot of good honest fun to be had working on and playing with an old boat no matter how much it costs or how long it takes and there is nothing on a boat that can't be fixed. It's all in the energy applied and the measure of satisfaction in accomplishment at the end of the trail. Is it the journey or the destination? I think someone is on a journey and it's going to be a great one, no matter how much is invested. Fix it as you go. If the water gets too ruff move closer to safety. Besides , there are a lot of girls out there that would love to help work on a boat. ..but,,, before you make the jump, make sure you're up to speed before hitting the ramp.
jimini

Post by jimini »

Ok here's some things to check for.... check for soft spots in the decking; springers; braces; transom; windows; windshield mountings; etc. Check for loose of broken handrails. Check for handrails that are leaking water from underneath into the cabin area or hull area... Check for water tanks and the connections and pumps... check for bilge pumps and their condition... check for oil in engines; tranny.... check for loose bearings on the propeller shaft... check for skeg wobble... check the condition of the prop... check for fire extingushers... safety equipment including PFD's... check for steering problems... rudder problems... transmission shifting problems.. check for the head and its holding tanks.. is the holding tank a pumpout and certified by the coast guard... when was the last the boat was inspected by the USCG (year)... check the thru hull fittings, do they have shut offs that are easy to turn on/off... are the electrical wiring in a bundle or laying in single wires... are the wires hung up nicely or are they hanging and rubbing against something that will make them short out.. Does all the switches and lights work... Are the controls in good working order.. is there a VHF marine radio aboard... how about a compass.... day/night flares...is the boat recently registered with the state... has it been insured lately... what condition are the mattress and seats in... does it have ground tackle... ropes... boat hook.... fuses or circuit breakers... interior lights... running lights work... anchor light... has it had regular maintainence performed on a timely basis... grease points preformed... tuneups.... what type of/make of engine.. make of transmission... is it v-drive or straight tranny....are there any LIENS against it... outstanding storage fees... dock fees that haven't been paid... is the title free and clear of any "flooding or fire damage" or is the title clouded... are you going to insure the boat... than most probably you will need to have a marine's insurance survey done anyway...
You've gotta be tough if you're gonna be STUPID!

jimini
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Try this for some answers. David Pascoe's site.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/