toilet vent hose

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

toilet vent hose

Post by larryeddington »

I have replaced both my tri-cab toilets and re-plumed all with hard pvc as much as possible. The vent lines on the boat are 1/2 inch corrugated white plastic that is corrugated in sections one foot length for cutting and installing on hose barb. Problem is West marine only has 5/8 and I cannot find any 1/2. Does anyone know of a source and or brand name for the material Trojan used in 84?

I plumed the black water transfer tank with the 5/8 which west has, but show no other. I now I can use any hose but would like to just splice and not totally replace the vent lines.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
comodave
Moderate User

Re: toilet vent hose

Post by comodave »

Several issues with the 1/2" corrugated hose as a vent line. First, it is permeable to the sewage gasses and will let the smell out into the interior of the boat. The corrugated hose is not very substantial and does not hold up well. It cracks and then leaks. Also 1/2" is too small for adequate venting of the holding tank. It does not let adequate oxygen into the tank and being so small, it will clog up easily if the sewage sloshes up into the vent line, particularly the corrugations in the hose will trap and hold the sewage in the vent line leading to plugging up the hose. I would suggest replacing it completely with a larger, smooth bore heavy duty sewage hose.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

thanks, the holding tank has larger hose, it is the small 9 gallon of each head is what I am venting. I am going to try staying with the small size at the toilet as it is transferred to the larger holding tank. If odor I know where to look. BTW all 4 vent lines have activated charcoal filters.

Still would like to know where to get and what it is called.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Larry, do you have a picture you can post?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

next time I go to the lake will get one. I found it at home depot but they only have 1 1/4 inch, and they call it bilge discharge hose. Their manufacturer is a company called Sioux Chief, could not find it on their website so am going to call them as I have their phone number. They do make or carry all kinds of piping and hoses though. Sizing is my current problem and may have to do some adapting.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

By what you're describing, it does sound like bilge pump discharge hose. Not the product of choice these days for discharge though. I've never seen it used as vent hose, and for reasons described above, I'd be replacing it with something else.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year