Seeking shore connection wisdom

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Scorpion07

Seeking shore connection wisdom

Post by Scorpion07 »

I am contemplating moving my shore water/electric hook up junctions from the cockpit of my 78 F32 to the transom.
Below the Trojan letters on the starboard corner.
I have removed the cockpit access panel and there is plenty of room for a straight shot forward to there respective terminations.
My question is whether there is a valid reason for not moving them there?
I want to get both out of the entry points of the boat.
I see a myriad of boats with this same scenario.
Thoughts???

Brett
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Seeking shore connection wisdom

Post by prowlersfish »

Here is my 2 cents Most boat that have them on the transom have them there because the have limited choices where to put them . Having them on the transom exposes them to more corrosion (by water ) and a lot more tugging on the power cords . I have seen a lot of burnt up shore power inlets on transoms . Perhaps I have noticed this because you can see them . Also you should not have the water inlet near the power inlet . they don't mix . Lastly and this is 100% IMO It won't look good .

If having the power cords over the transom is what you want to do away with , conceder hawse pipes . I did this on mine manly for the dock line but I also run the power / water thu them . and down the side of the cockpit out of the way .( I will post a pic )

Not saying not to do this ( other then don't put the water/power inlets next to each other ) . This just why I would not .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Hawse Pipes
Attachments
T  door done.jpg
T door done.jpg (132.91 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I have a 10m and moved them to the transom a few years ago. I was tired of two long cords running up to midships on the Std side. They were a pain to connect/disconnect and always in the way. I made a custom set of cords that I leave at the dock full time. In the process, I also added circuit breakers just inside the transom so that the boat side is protected.

With the factory setup, the wiring between the shorepower outlet and the AC panel is unprotected (approx 12') so this is much safer in my opinion. The breaker on the dock only protects the dockside wiring and the breakers in the AC panel are the first protection on the boat side leaving a pretty big gap.

I see no downside and a lot of upside in moving them....

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

I agree with Pfish above.The F32 factory location somewhat protects the plugs,I will add that if you drop a plug ,it hits the deck, with the transom location its in the water.....The dockside water would be ok to move imo, any leaks from that would be overboard.
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

Thanks prolersfish.
That's the insight I'm looking for.
Your reasoning behind the water intrusion was the same as mine. It also seems counter intuitive to put both inlets next to each other because of the very real electric shock possibility. However, I see it all the time?! Even on brand new highly regarded boats. I would "think" some boating council would mandate the scenario out of existence if it had a high probability of that hazard. But I guess you have to consider, everything we do with electricity as far as boats are concerned is subject to water. We're in it!
I also like the hawse pipe idea/look, but it wouldn't work on an F32. The pipe would lead straight to a semi-enclosed area and into the bilge. No scuppers to evacuate.

BobCt,
I really like the circuit breaker approach.
Have you had any issues, and how close are the two inlets to each other?
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

Mike,
Exactly my reasons for questioning. I just wish the cord/hose weren't at the entry points.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

No issues here, I have two 30amp outlets right next to each other. Could I drop the cord in the water? Maybe, but I don't switch anything on until everything is connected. Shorepower is switched on in the rain all the time so I would not worry about dockside water proximity.
1988 10m mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Scorpion07 wrote:Thanks prolersfish.
!
I also like the hawse pipe idea/look, but it wouldn't work on an F32. The pipe would lead straight to a semi-enclosed area and into the bilge. No scuppers to evacuate.

?
Hawse pipe should work fine on a F32 . I had to cut through the transom and the inner" liner" they are about 1-2" apart . I belive the F32 is the same from what I remember .
BobCT wrote:I have a 10m and moved them to the transom a few years ago. I was tired of two long cords running up to midships on the Std side. They were a pain to connect/disconnect and always in the way. I made a custom set of cords that I leave at the dock full time. In the process, I also added circuit breakers just inside the transom so that the boat side is protected.

With the factory setup, the wiring between the shorepower outlet and the AC panel is unprotected (approx 12') so this is much safer in my opinion. The breaker on the dock only protects the dockside wiring and the breakers in the AC panel are the first protection on the boat side leaving a pretty big gap.

I see no downside and a lot of upside in moving them....

Bob
Bob , your shore power is protected to the panel by the breakers on the Dock . So there should be no issue . UNLESS your plugged into a 50 amp dock outlet . Then you don't proper protection on your cords . But cords do not short out that often . When you burnt cords its from bad connections . Bad connections can cause a fire as much as a short can maybe more so . With a short the breaker should trip . With a bad connection you get heat maybe a fire and guess what the breaker offers NO protection it won't trip .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Pros and cons to both locations. I will say this though, I need more than two hands to count the number of times I've seen people try to leave the dock with their cords still plugged into their transoms. If you have to step over it while boarding the side of your boat or see it lying in the cockpit when prepping to pull out, it's a forced reminder to remove it first. Careless? of course it is and it may simply not matter where it is to those that don't do the propper checks before leaving the dock but I don't recall this happening with inlets inside the cockpit or along side the deck amidships. Coincidence? maybe. Hey, as long as my beer fridge is cold it's all good :wink:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

I guess it is like the question, do you tie your boat to the dock, or the dock to your boat. I tie my boat to the dock so
I always take my lines with me, I also bring my Shore Power Cord with me. I disconnect from the dock and take Cords with me, so for me, I would leave the connections where they are.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Flyboy wrote:I guess it is like the question, do you tie your boat to the dock, or the dock to your boat. I tie my boat to the dock so
I always take my lines with me, I also bring my Shore Power Cord with me. I disconnect from the dock and take Cords with me, so for me, I would leave the connections where they are.
Interesting , FWIW I always leave the lines at the dock ( I find it easier ). Power cord goes with me on short runs . longer runs they stay on the dock . Over night if staying at a marina I normally take them with me . But I have a spare set of power cords on the boat and 2 sets of lines .

One thing about using Hawse pipes its hard to forget about the power cord
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

I do the same thing as Prowlersfish. One stays at the dock and a spare for overnights.

You're really selling those hawse pipes Prowler! :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Scorpion07 wrote:I do the same thing as Prowlersfish. One stays at the dock and a spare for overnights.

You're really selling those hawse pipes Prowler! :D
That's because I own stock in "Hawse pipes r us" :mrgreen:

Its just something that I did to the boat and really liked it . Main reason was to lower the dock lines when at a floating dock . So it was easier to step out the transom door . But I like not having line and power cords going over the transom , Just a bonus .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

Funny!
Thanks for the input everyone.
I might wait until next winter to tackle it. If I do it. I have too much to do before launch!