Sea Trial this weekend! Update with post purchase pics!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Sea Trial this weekend! Update with post purchase pics!

Post by zedtwentyate »

Saturday morning, the wife and I will be completing a survey and sea trial on a 10 meter! Super excited to potentially upgrade the F27 for a meter boat. The boat has been a dock queen for the last 18 years and only have 600 hours on the original motors. No genset and no a/c. That's my only concern with this boat. I'm excited! Happy Spring!
Last edited by zedtwentyate on Mon May 23, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Barrie
Moderate User

Re: Sea Trial this weekend!

Post by Barrie »

Good luck with the sea trial.
I've never been on a meter style boat, they appear to be very different then the older Fs. I likey! :lol:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good luck . hope congrats will be in order .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

Good luck on a good deal. Would love to see some pictures if you decide to move forward.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Good Luck

My '94 370 Express (purchased twelve months ago) was a dock queen as well. The previous owner played cards on her with his cronies for approx the last twelve years. So, although I'm very pleased with my purchase there was/is dock queen related stuff to do.

Both (low engine hours) engines required complete tune-ups incl carb rebuilds, this boat has a grey water sump box (attwood) that needed replacing, a vacuflush with tired duck bill valves (didn't hold vacuum for longer than 30 seconds), a tired sunbrella enclosure, windless tightening lever gone and windless not working correctly (purchased new lever after help from this forum), six helm pushbuttons that required replacement, etc ................. my point being that most dock queens need some loving care to make sure they are seaworthy.......... but imo do not be put off by these issues because over time they are all fixable......... and in my opinion, if the bones and price are great, don't worry about the hangnails (imo there will prob be some)

Good luck. Let us know.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Well folks, the trail went swimingly. My surveyor said all things checked out. A few minor details like Rickalan mentioned, but nothing i'm concerned about. Those 454s ran strong and purred like kittens...sea kittens.

I've begun my list already...canvas, seat uphostery, deck carpet, a good wax job and some upgraded electronic.

One of the water pumps had a leak, but the marina is fixing it.

I didn't take many picture, but my wife did. I'll have to post those later. Closing on monday...

The Boat is on Cayuga Lake in the Finger Lakes region. I'll be taking her home to Oneida in a few weeks.

Anyone want an F-27? :)

Kegan

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Sounds like all is going well !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Nice mid-cabin International !

I see you have the opening center windshield option.

WIAH I HAD THAT !

You will love it !

Today's new gen sets are far advanced from what was available when this boat was produced.

HVAC can be easily added.

GREAT BOAT !!!!

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Signed the papers today...

here's a couple more pics...

The owner gave me the survey he had in 2000 as well. She looked a lot better back then with the navy canvas! I might have to switch back to that...Also, that darn blue bottom drives me nuts. The deal was contingent on the marina painting it black and they did not. As a result, they are detailing the boat. I guess i can deal with it until next year.

Kegan

RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

welcome to the world of TROJAN INTERNATIONAL BOATS

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Congrats, that is a sweet looking boat

I agree with you on the navy top, although the turquoise isn't terrible, and also with the blue bottom. Mine is also that blue as are many here and it is some colour! :lol:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Barrie wrote:Congrats, that is a sweet looking boat

I agree with you on the navy top, although the turquoise isn't terrible, and also with the blue bottom. Mine is also that blue as are many here and it is some colour! :lol:

Thank you. I dont hate the blue bottom, I just hate it with the teal top! Seems like it clashes a little.
Kegan

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Congrats on the new purchase! If you go to re-do the canvas sometime, you may want to consider a lighter color, or at least one with a low emissivity, if you can find that spec published anywhere. For grins sometime, point your IR thermometer* at the underside of the canvas when the sun is on it. My red top gets ridiculously hot.

*You have one, right???? Ebay is chock full of them. They are very useful for checking stuffing box and riser temps and while running, and most importantly, the temperature of beer.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

It sure is cheaper to change the bottom paint color than all that canvas!

Our canvas is navy colored, and it does get hot in the summer, but I like the look. Our big debate is whether to keep the navy front window cover or go to white. I like the look of the navy much better, but the salon gets quite hot and it seems like much of the heat is coming through the front window.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Just curious on your thoughts:

As mentioned, the marina screwed up and painted the bottom blue. The boat was in brokerage so they don't have a ton of skin in the game on making an error of this sort. That being said, the guy told me he messed up and forgot and then apologized. Instead of having them repaint the bottom I agreed they could make it up to me by doing a rub rail up detail. That was all good in my book because it saved me some time.

In the meantime they ended up having to replace the sea water pump this week at the owners expense. I requested a new pump rather than a rebuild of the old one. I'm sure the owner wasn't happy but this is business and I wanted to pick this thing up this weekend.

They had 8 days to replace the pump and clean the boat.

The pump got done but guess what didn't? The detail. Go figure.

They guy is a one man boat sales and delivery show. He works their show room and handles all deliveries. The sales manager was fired during the purchase and I know he's being overextended. The human side of me cares, but the business side of me gives about zero ****s. He told me today that he's working 70 hour weeks and his marriage may not survive this season. The text was received while I sat in an airport hoping to get home by midnight from a business trip to Minnesota...my 10th week in a row of being away from home Monday thru Friday. If work wasn't hard it'd be called recess.

The salesman apologized and once again said it was his mistake and he will make it up monitarily. I'm not happy about that but what the heck, I'm reasonable. Tomorrow we will discuss the details.

What sort of monetary compensation would you ask for? A full twnk of gas? $500? $2.50? Just curious on Team Trojans thoughts here.
Kegan