Battery Terminal Fuses

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

randyp
Active User

Battery Terminal Fuses

Post by randyp »

I just came across a neat new product from Blue Seas and Cooper Bussman. They're Marine Rated Battery Fuses (MRBF) and they come in sizes from 30A to 300A, with a fuse holder that mounts on the positive of the battery (or battery switch). I am installing some electrical gear (small inverter) and an auto charge relay which require fusing witn 7" of the battery. These new fuses are handy, easy to install in tight spaces (like that on my F-26) and are not all that expensive. Best price is on Jack Rabbit Marine, but Defender and West Marine also carry them. Thought I'd pass this on for anyone interested in doing some high amp DC work and not wanting to burn their boat to the water line! Still watching the snow melt and wishing I was south of here!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Got a part number and price? For what you're looking at?
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Jack Rabbit price for 75A fuse (BSF55180) is $10.00 each, and $14.00 for fuse holder BSF55191). Same product(s) at West Marine are $15.99 each and $20.99 for the fuse holder. Blue Seas introduced this late 07 so they're pretty new. This compared to 2X-3X for other fuses and holders (including those already made by Blue Seas).
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Can you provide a link. I have searched, couldn't find anything with those numbers.
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

http://www.jackrabbitmarine.com. The website is sort of funky. When you open it look for the menu of products on the left side and link to Fuses and Breakers" under the "Electrical" heading. This will take you to a page of blah, blah about fuses, etc. On the upper right of this page is the product link. Open up "DC Fuses" and it will take you to the products. You'll see the fuse block and assorted fuses near the bottom of this page. Best prices I found for the fuses and fuse block.
(also)
http://www.blueseasystems.com - open the "News/Events" link at the top and then open the Sep 18, 2007 news release.
(also)
http://www.westmarine.com
model no. 9368945 for the 75A fuse and model no. 9368895 for the fuse block. Blue Seas numbers are 5180 and 5191, respectively. This is on page 421 of the new WM catalog.
(also)
go to Google and search "Blue Seas Terminal Fuse". You'll get the Defender link, but they don't have the full line of fuses, yet.

Like, I said, I have spent a lot of time waiting for the snow to thaw...
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Got it, thanks!