Fuel Tank Materials

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mac32
Moderate User

Fuel Tank Materials

Post by Mac32 »

Ok, I have a 1976 f32 that had both rear tanks and side saddle tanks replaced with 1/8" thick florida marine aluminm tanks back in 1989 (this was the manufacturing stamp on the tank). One of the side saddle tanks decided to spring a leak somewhere I cannot get to but I am sure it is near a corner.

So now it is time to look at replacing them (maybe all) again. My gut feel is since the installation looks good (mounted on fiberglass grid, not wood) that I was bitten by the ethanol bug when the boat sat for the last few years.

I have been doing alot of research on tank material the past few days and am starting to sway my opinion to the cross-linked polyethylene tanks for permanant mounting like the ones Moeller has to offer
http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarke ... ent_tanks/

They are a little less expensive and from what I am reading they will last much longer than aluminum and stainless.

here is a good link to another thread tha has most of the options for manufacturers in a link half way down the page. http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11403

Whats the opinions from the gang here????

:)
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I replaced the original galvanized steel tank on m F-26 with cross linked polyethylene in 1999. It's been fine ever since. Water absorbtion in gas due to ethanol content will still occur, regardless of the tank, if the gas is allowed to stay in the tank for long periods of time. There's a lot of info on this at boat/us site if you want to check it out. Hope that helps.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
everus

Post by everus »

I also have four tanks in my 73 F32. Mine are original and NO leaks at all! They are all hot dipped galvanized. I spoke to a long time marine surveyor who told me that HE has never seen a leak in 73-74 Trojan F32 HOT DIPPED tanks. A bud of mine has a 1978 F32 and the tanks ARE NOT the same as mine and may or may not have been replaced at some point. He has leak problems. My question is 2fold. #1 Did Trojan change the type or quality of tank they used at some time in F32's? #2 Why not use hot dipped galvanized over aluminum or plastic? :?:
F32 Trojan on Lake Simcoe, Canada.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have seen many galvanized tanks fail on trojans .( and others ) I don't think any boat builder is them any more and for good resone. there is no pefect tank but for my money aluminm is they way to go . most aluminm tanks fail on the mountings were it holds moisture most fail from the out side . poly /plastic tanks have issues with smell , that is you can smell gas thru them . I would think the life of the poly and aluminm would be much longer the galvanized tanks . I don't think any one makes galvanized thanks for boats anymore.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D