Shower pump- F32- 1985

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Shower pump- F32- 1985

Post by Stripermann2 »

I need input from other 32 owners regarding their set-up on the shower pump/sump.

After pulling up the floor to access and trace the shower drain hose, I discovered the previous owner simply ran the hose back to the engine room and into the bilge.

I found the wiring which ends in the cabinet area under the sink in the galley. The thru-hull fitting on the port side was capped off too. I know on the F36 there is a sump and pump in the hull between the galley and vbirth. On the 32, I see nowhere there may have been a sump and pump as one unit. It looks as though I can install an inline pump in the galley cabinet, where it appears there once was one...

Enlighten me please to your set-up and advise.

Thanks.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Pump location

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

My pump is located under the sink in the galley. You can access that area by removing the fridge. Mine has a strainer prior to the pump and the pump is anchored to the floor of the cabin against the engine room bulkhead but on the kitchen side of the bulkhead.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Thanks, that's what I figured after awhile. I can get a pump and a screen filter and replace. That's the set-up it appears, as mine...albeit, nothing there! Yes, I removed the fridge and can access the area.

Any thoughts on a pump and filter recommendation? Hopefully a self priming pump since it'll be above the discharge hose which lays in the floor 'till it meets the cabinet area.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Pump and strainer

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I have a shur-flo self priming pump with a shur-flo screen strainer prior to the pump. Not sure the model number. Should have a pump rate faster than the gpm of the water coming into your shower. 7 to 10 gpm should do it. Measure how many gallons of water your system can pump per minute by timing the shower head to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Then add a little for good measure.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Is your strainer like an AC strainer or an inline which is serviceable?

Thanks.
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

Not part of the solution here but a different idea involving the shower drain.

I am yanking mine from under the sink yes it is orginal with the strainer but I am thinking of doing a wild new setup this spring.

Since I just finished a full stringer rebuild due to water in the bilge I am shooting for a completley dry bilge this season, so what does this have to o with the shower you ask? Well it doesnt, completley.....but partly.

I am planning on mounting a Rule shower sump box in the forward part of the engine compartment ($65 from defender right now) and hook the shower drain hose to it ( yes it will sit at the right elevation and I do have hose access) then install some custom drip catch boxes under each shaft packing (yes they are supposed to drip a little) and run a hose from each drip catch to the sump box.

Whaddaya think guys?

:roll:
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
jimini

Post by jimini »

MAC32 I think that's an outstanding idea! Good thinking - I hate wet bilges too...
You've gotta be tough if you're gonna be STUPID!

jimini
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I have a similar set up in my F36. I have drip pans under the shaft packingsn the pump to a common basin at the transom. the basin has its own pump that discharges overboard. Then I also have two others forward and two aft. One forward and one aft are self priming. I.m thinking of adding timers to these to run daily for a few minutes while I am away.

also, im updating my ac this spring, im buying the digital controls with a 14 day thermostat. I can have the ac run an hour a day and dry up anything else. With 7 bilges on board, on board charger, I don't have much fear of a raw water leak... hope that's not famous last words :)
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Thanks for the help guys.
I ordered my pump and strainer yesterday around noon and UPS brought it today...at noon. Fast shipping on a 3 day request.
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

In my F-32 the pump is mounted on the forward bulkhead in the engine room... easy access.
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

Thats a good place since I could suck in my gut a few years ago to squeeze under the galley sink, where mine is currently mounted but now I need to send my son in, but now he is getting too big ant this will be his last season to fit.
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Since I bought my F-32 I'm selling my Searay, but the shower in my Searay drains into the midship bilge pump which has a manual switch at the helm.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Pump

Post by rossjo »

My shower pump is also under the sink ...

Dry bilge would be great - but my rudder shafts drip a bit as well - anyone else?

My birthday gift this year is Dry Seals (I hope!).
Last edited by rossjo on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Shower pump

Post by AndyF32 »

I also have an 85 F32 and it has a diaphram pump under the sink. I have added a hose and strainer in the fwd bilge and use the same pump to pump the fwd bilge down to 1/8". When I get around to it I am going to add a hose and strainer to the mid bilge and use a manifold of valves under the stairs to switch between them.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Andy

Post by rossjo »

Good idea! Do you have a valve setup to pick shower vs. fwd bilge, or is it automatic somehow?

It would be great to use the diaphram shower pump to suck up the water from the keel by running a line down there. Bet no one has done that yet ... ?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17