engine rebuild

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

billb

engine rebuild

Post by billb »

how much would it be to have my Chrysler 250s rebuilt. they are running ok but I know I have some troubles with them
owner of a nice 1979 f-32
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: engine rebuild

Post by prowlersfish »

Costs could be all over the place depending on what is needed and the shop rates . Do to the low hours on boat engines a sometimes boring is not needed due to wear . However other factors come in to play like water getting to the engine etc . If its raw water cooled I would never bore it . If its raw water cooled and its in salt water I would be looking for long blocks .

If I was quoting the job I would have to look at it , to get a idea what else was need like manifolds and other parts . I would refuse to do the job if needed other NEEDED parts were decline Pumps /manifolds / heat exchanger , like I said if needed .

I Would guess a few thousand in labor alone .

With that all said why do you think you need a overhaul ? In most cases (99%) of the time engine issues are due to bolt on parts not internal engine issues .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Re: engine rebuild

Post by Reel Easy »

Summit Racing sells marine long blocks from $2079. each. And that is for chrysler 360 either rotation. Your going to have more than that in other parts and labor. Unless you know the history of your manifolds it would be crazy to not replace them and the risers. I would replace or rebuild water pumps. You may want to have your distributors looked at too. Oh and new belts and hoses. And while the engines are out would be a good time to clean and paint the bilge. See it can get pricey fast. If you can do a lot of the work your self you can save some money.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio