F36 Convertible Sliding Door Track

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F36 Convertible Sliding Door Track

Post by captainmaniac »

prowlersfish wrote:captainmaniac The photo in my post is from your boat . Was the L bracket added ?

L bracket was original as far as I know (at least has been there since I bought the boat 16+ years ago). Don't think it is unique as here is a shot from the forum re F36 gas to diesel conversion that shows the same L bracket. http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... 0_0585.jpg
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

prowlersfish wrote:Are you sure your door is not just off track ? Just looking at the wear marks .
Quite positive. Where the track is not worn at all, it is flat on the top but with the original paint still intact. The wheels are also flat where they meet up with the track.

Due to the geometry, you could not put the door into the track without the wheel lining up with the raised portion of the track.

From the side, the portion of the track where the door rides looks like

I_M_I

with the sides of the M vertical and the top flat and below the tops of the I's.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:captainmaniac The photo in my post is from your boat . Was the L bracket added ?

L bracket was original as far as I know (at least has been there since I bought the boat 16+ years ago). Don't think it is unique as here is a shot from the forum re F36 gas to diesel conversion that shows the same L bracket. http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee262/1980TrojanF-
36/100_0585.jpg
I don't see the L in the photo but its not a clear shot that I saw . I will take a photo of mine this weekend ( if I can remember ) BTW Do you know what Happen to Danny ?
WayWeGo wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:Are you sure your door is not just off track ? Just looking at the wear marks .
Quite positive. Where the track is not worn at all, it is flat on the top but with the original paint still intact. The wheels are also flat where they meet up with the track.

Due to the geometry, you could not put the door into the track without the wheel lining up with the raised portion of the track.

From the side, the portion of the track where the door rides looks like

I_M_I

with the sides of the M vertical and the top flat and below the tops of the I's.
I know its a long shot but did you check with Bob at Beacon for a track ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

It seems like Trojan used different tracks on different boats, or possibly ours was replaced at some time. I think I can repair ours for less than a new track would be, if I could even get one. Besides, I like fixing things rather than replacing them! :mrgreen:
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

WayWeGo wrote:
El L Sea wrote:The picture of the door frame (1st pic) is from the side on my workbench. I actually just slid the bottom part of the door off the glass and everything so I didn't have to haul the whole door home. The bottom picture shows the actual orientation.
The photo without the glass threw me off -- now I understand. How did you remove the existing track, or did you put the new track on top of it?

Thanks for the suggestion, I will think about all these when I can actually get back to the boat and see what fits the best.
I actually pulled the track and replaced it. I took some pictures today. Not too many since it was 85 degrees outside :D
1.jpg
1.jpg (84.21 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (132.52 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (107.04 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

El L Sea, thanks for the photos -- that is quite helpful. Not sure I could do exactly what you did since there are three parallel tracks that are part of the same extrusion on our boat, and there are fixed panels in two of them.

85 degrees sounds good to me. It is sunny here, but only 32 at the moment. Hope to be moving a bit further south in a couple of years...
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

prowlersfish wrote:I don't see the L in the photo but its not a clear shot that I saw . I will take a photo of mine this weekend ( if I can remember ) BTW Do you know what Happen to Danny ?
Here's a zoomed in version of the picture, and you can see the L bracket stopping an inch or so short of the door frame on the stbd side. I am guessing it's purpose was to stop as much cockpit gunk / dirt / leaves / bugs etc as possible from blowing or washing in to the wheel track.
L bracket.jpg
L bracket.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
Have no clue what happened to Danny. Never knew him. Just found that picture by doing a search for "F32 sedan salon doors" or something similar.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Capt M. I had looked a a photo with his gas engines still in and it kind of looked like mine . BUT it from the inside and very unclear . In the photo you posted it looks a whole lot different then mine and yours too .Yours looks like a cross of both. Notice all the glass was removed ?

What year is your Boat ?

Waywego's boat is a 75 mine is a 77/78 and Dannys is a 80 and they all are different . Makes it interesting for sure. :shock:

Are all OEM Trojan or have some of ours been changed ? I do know they went to a offset and wider door in the 80s along with a latch/lock change . Maybe a different door company ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I have a '79. Picture with the diesels matches what I have (though my track is a little less messed up, or the picture wasn't as messed up with bad lighting). In the pic with diesels maybe the glass was removed in starboard fixed panel, but looks like it still exists in slider.

If I remember over the holidays I can take more focused pictures of what I have (heated indoor storage is the BEST -- aside from the friggin spiders that will never die!) if that might help.

Don't know if different hardware might have been used based on where the boat was built. Believe mine was probably built in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario. If others were built in Lancaster, PA maybe they used some different parts.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I will try to post pic of mine also.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Not too many since it was 85 degrees outside
Thankfully, it was 16 F here this morning. It's awesome because I went shopping after work last night. I bought myself some frozen dinners to keep for late nights at work. When I got home, I just pulled them out of the grocery bag and left them in the car overnight. I know that you are jealous......
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

P-Dogg wrote:
Not too many since it was 85 degrees outside
Thankfully, it was 16 F here this morning. It's awesome because I went shopping after work last night. I bought myself some frozen dinners to keep for late nights at work. When I got home, I just pulled them out of the grocery bag and left them in the car overnight. I know that you are jealous......
I can relate, we had an ice issue with the boat last weekend, we ran out.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

This what my track looks like . The door roller rides on the raised rail .
Attachments
door track.jpg
door track.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
door track 2.jpg
door track 2.jpg (21.12 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Here are a couple of photos of our door track. The wear at this end of the track is much less than at the other end.

As you can see, the top of the rail is basically flat. What you cannot see is that the rail for the screen door is identical to that of the sliding door, except it has no wear.

My play is to machine off some material from the top of the rail and replace it with fresh aluminum or stainless steel.
Door Track 1.jpg
Door Track 1.jpg (111.31 KiB) Viewed 5752 times
Door Track 2.jpg
Door Track 2.jpg (120.81 KiB) Viewed 5752 times
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's