89 mid cabin emergency power

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mrrudely
Sporadic User

89 mid cabin emergency power

Post by mrrudely »

can anyone explain how the emergency power button on the dash works?
I was able to start the port engine but starboard read low voltage (under 12 maybe 10) and would
not turn over even when holding down the emergency power button (while port was running)
all happening at the dock with battery charger connected to shore power
thx
rr
10 meter mid cabin
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: 89 mid cabin emergency power

Post by zedtwentyate »

mrrudely wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:32 pm can anyone explain how the emergency power button on the dash works?
I was able to start the port engine but starboard read low voltage (under 12 maybe 10) and would
not turn over even when holding down the emergency power button (while port was running)
all happening at the dock with battery charger connected to shore power
thx
rr
The emergency start engages a solenoid in the battery compartment of your boat that connects the two starting batteries together in parallel. This allows the weaker battery to effectively be “jump started”. The button needs to be held down to work.

You could have an issue with how it’s connected, a bad solenoid or you could have a bad battery in the mix. It’s interesting that with the charger hooked up, you couldn’t start the boat. I’d take the battery to be tested.

I’m not an expert, but I’d also be curious is engaging emergency power with the battery charger hooked up, could cause issues. Likely the answer is no...

What battery charger are you using? If it’s the original, it’s time to replace that...there’s a bunch of posts explaining why...
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

zedtwentyate , explained it pretty well. The problem is on some boats Only 1 battery powers the push button switch and if that battery is the low one it may not have the power to work the system. Some boats used a 2-way toggle so you choose between the 2 to power the system.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

There is a switch for the crossover but I know I read that happens automatically, every time. I'm almost positive there is a note to that effect on the wiring diagram. I think the switch is to manually connect both banks but I don't know exactly what would not be working to require that step (solenoid would be my guess).

Yes, that sounds like a bad battery to me.
1988 10m mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

BobCT wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:56 pm There is a switch for the crossover but I know I read that happens automatically, every time. I'm almost positive there is a note to that effect on the wiring diagram. I think the switch is to manually connect both banks but I don't know exactly what would not be working to require that step (solenoid would be my guess).

Yes, that sounds like a bad battery to me.
It will work automatically if the batteries are up. It's so both batteries are used cranking. But if the battery is dead it won't because there is not enough power to work the solenoid from the dead engine's switch.

The boats with the 2 way toggle switch had an advantage. A short sight from Trojan and other builders. This is not saying there is not a problem with the system.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

thanks everyone
here is some more info not necessarily in order of importance
both engines started repeatedly yesterday afternoon and all day today, I could not duplicate the problem
volt meters on dash read just under 12 to 13 each time
probably safe to say it is intermittent
the emergency solenoid in the battery box is old and I believe not original
according to my meter there is always continuity across the positive cables at the solenoid whether the button on dash is pushed or not
there is a clicking noise when dash button is pushed
there is one small wire connected to the solenoid with my meter across it and one positive battery cable it reads 13.29
when button on dash is pushed it reads 2.86
battery charger is protech 124oi plus
I don't know how old it is
I swapped batteries while the problem was persistent with the same results so I think I can rule out the batteries
starter motor on starboard engine is fairly new
relay may be old
any more thoughts more than welcome
thx
rr
10 meter mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

look at all your connections. Also, you should have a stater relay on the engine that could be at fault. I had a similar interment issue on mine that turn out to be the starter relay. While I don't have Crusaders The starter. relay wiring is very similar. Also have seen issues at the main engine connector.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

problem solved!
battery cable connection at the starter motor was corroded
it wasn't suspect because the starter motor was changed less than two years ago
the connection was tight and there was continuity (btw continuity doesn't always hold up under load)
I jumped the starter with jumper cables to a good battery, success!
I removed the cable thinking I may have to replace it and found the starter end badly corroded
cleaned it up put things back together and bingo!
ordered crc heavy duty corrosion inhibitor (should something like this be used everywhere?)
thanks to all
10 meter mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You may want to replace the cable anyways as there may also be corrosion in the cable itself.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!