inclinometer - correct way to measure running angle?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: inclinometer - correct way to measure running angle?

Post by captainmaniac »

El L Sea wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 am 200 feet of chain and a bigger anchor cured our need for trim tab use.
But also hinders your ability to lift the bow a bit higher when dealing with following seas / surfing conditions to reduce chances of stuffing the bow into the back of a wave. Not saying what you did is a bad idea, just trying to say that there may be impacts to handling if people make changes that they need to understand and be aware of so they can operate their boats safely afterwards.
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

captainmaniac wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:31 pm
El L Sea wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 am 200 feet of chain and a bigger anchor cured our need for trim tab use.
But also hinders your ability to lift the bow a bit higher when dealing with following seas / surfing conditions to reduce chances of stuffing the bow into the back of a wave. Not saying what you did is a bad idea, just trying to say that there may be impacts to handling if people make changes that they need to understand and be aware of so they can operate their boats safely afterwards.

Trim tabs are useless and dangerous in following seas and should always be fully retracted in those conditions.

Per Bennett Marine:

Using in a Following Sea:
For best maneuverability and maximum steering control, trim tabs should be fully retracted in a following sea, or when running an inlet. Keep the tabs up so the tide or current won’t push the stern from side to side.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

El L Sea wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:40 am
Trim tabs are useless and dangerous in following seas and should always be fully retracted in those conditions.
Exactly. So if you put a lot of weight in the bow to keep it down, you can't undo that in a following sea. The weight will keep the bow down even though its safer to lift it up. If attitude is controlled by tabs, you can raise them fully in a following sea. Same idea as if you are operating a bow rider. In a following sea, don't have everyone sitting up forward as it increases the chances of stuffing it. Anyways... enough on the tab sub-topic. Sorry for hijacking the inclinometer thread!
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

After all of that, its seems like my running angle is fine. I installed the gauge on the side window and started at zero. Up on plane, cruising around 21k, it read around 5 degrees. RWS, thanks for forcing me to buy that gauge. I’m going to forget the additional weight plan and invest my new found weight savings in some additional tools :)

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Trim Tabs Trojan

Trojan trim tabs were primarily for transverse stability. ( port and starboard balance)

On Trojan F boats optimal planing is at 4 degrees from bottom water surface. (Bow up )

On Trojan Internationals planing is 5 1/2 degrees (runs up hill)

On smaller F boats F-25 and F-26 (single screw) slow spreed planing can be achieved with more tabs.

You can check degrees with a Inclinometer

We have all the parts for Trojan original trim tab systems.
Beacon Marine
609 713 4602
Or
Trojan Boat Store
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Pretty close to 4 deg. @ 20 knots no tabs.
Attachments
trojan level.jpeg
trojan level.jpeg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I had an inclinometer on my 1971 F26. In relatively smooth water the most efficient angle was 5 degrees bow up.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26