Noise at shaft?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Boppy
Sporadic User

Noise at shaft?

Post by Boppy »

After my rudder and prop were repaired/replaced last year when I finally discovered “the rock” after 44 years on the same lake, things were running well, but I notice a high pitched “squeal” at between 1000 and 1200 RPM, and it seems to be coming from the shaft. The shaft was measured during the repairs and was within spec and “true”, nothing off center, etc. There is none of the “squeal” above 1200 rpm. My setup is a single Chrysler Marine 318, Velvet Drive tranny, so single shaft spinning a Michigan Wheel prop. I’m thinking cutlass bearing, but would appreciate any ideas. Many thanks, and Happy 4th to you all!
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Noise at shaft?

Post by captainmaniac »

Possibly the bearing, or alignment issue (maybe strut got a bit bent in the impact and nobody notice?). Other possibilities -- stuffing box may be too tight or (took me a couple years to figure this one out!!!) packing nut may be cross-threaded. I had a squeal that only happened after shifting into neutral after idling ahead ... with the boat still moving ahead back pressure on the prop would still make it spin, combo of the shaft speed and nut being a bit skewed just kinda mapped to some harmonic frequency that only stopped if I put it back into gear (spinning faster) or the prop/shaft slowed down enough.
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Thanks. All good advice. The squeal is only present in gear (forward) at >1300 RPM. Stuffing box might be the cause.
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

FWIW, I get this occasionally with my PYI dripless shaft seal

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull