Hello - F36 Tri-Cabin owners in specific

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

floatingtikiroom

Hello - F36 Tri-Cabin owners in specific

Post by floatingtikiroom »

Hello Trojan Boaters!
We have just joined this Trojan forum today!

We're seriously considering purchasing a 1979 Trojan F36 Tri Cabin. After an exhaustive search of what's available in an affordable price bracket - for us and our desired use, it is the perfect floating cottage for the Trent Severn system, and what will be our home water - Rice Lake, Ontario, Canada. (an hour east of Toronto and just north of Lake Ontario)

It's been good to note the repairs and difficulties others on this forum and the net have encountered. Aside from the standard checklist for purchasing a used boat, does anyone have anything in specific we should be vigilant of when we go to see the boat tomorrow? It's a Tri-fly version.

Hoping we can join in as owners of a Trojan by the end of the week! :)

Thanks!
Attachments
This is the configuration of the boat we're considering
This is the configuration of the boat we're considering
trojan-f-36-tri-fly-40362_3e.jpg (83.01 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Hello - F36 Tri-Cabin owners in specific

Post by prowlersfish »

If I was to get an aft cabin boat the tri-fly would be high in the list.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
blair

Post by blair »

That's a Tri-Fly!
Helm is located above the salon with a nice lounge area behind the helm.
Best benefit is the Captain now has company during the cruise and isn't abandoned by all the passengers, who are enjoying the cruise from the lounge area on the bow.
Worst drawback is it comes from an era of lots of leaky spots and soft interior spots.
The best news is that a tri-fly is worth the effort. It's the only model I would trade our 1979 tricabin for.
We're also on the Trent.
Lots of good advise in the history of this forum. Pay particular attention to anything posted by the late Aaron Bochnek. The man grew up on a tricabin and his posts here will answer most questions you have, prior to purchasing your boat. I read almost every post that existed regarding the tricabin before I bought ours and we've had it for 10 years now. They are a great platform for family boating.
Also - get a survey. It's going to have issues. After you read all the posts here you'll see them, too!
Each era of tricabins were different. Your research here will lead you to narrow down your particular model.If it is a trfly ,that narrows it down even more.
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

blair wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 am
Best benefit is the Captain now has company during the cruise and isn't abandoned by all the passengers, who are enjoying the cruise from the lounge area on the bow.
I find that this area provides a separate circulation area for guests. At a party, do you always want everyone in ur face all the time? The non-tri-fly still has plenty of beside-the-captain seating. I won't say that it looks nicer, too, because that would be rude.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

So Mr Floating Tiki Room........ :D Pretty sure that's not your first name. My name's Rick and I'm wondering how your visit went regarding the Tri-Fly.

We had a tri-cabin for 16 years and loved it. Sold it six years ago and bought what will probably be our final boat. Like many here, I've been up and down most every path involving the tri-cabin model. I'm on the Rideau System so like Blair, fairly close-by. Hope you had a good experience and the boat wasn't in poor condition. Fingers crossed.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I owned a 1979 Trojan Tri-cabin for about 12 years and sold it just a few years ago. It's a great boat. Make sure you get one with a sound hull and mechanically sound engines & transmissions. All the rest is personal preference.

I happened to get a gem. The hull was very sound and quite dry for a '79 and the Mercruiser engines were strong. I was the third owner, and the two previous owners took really good care of her. So did I. Any boat that old will require regular maintenance which can be expensive if you're not doing it yourself - which I cannot do. The two most important things I did was to replace the steel gas tanks with aluminum tanks and get the bottom barrier coated. Both were quite expensive but well worth it. The most important thing I did that affected performance was to replace the distributors with new ones. My initial trip on Lake Michigan on a windless late summer morning after they were installed saw 32mph on the GPS at WOT. My mechanic and I could hardly believe it. I cruised at 3,000 RPM, 19MPH and 25GPH fuel burn.

I agree with the advice to seek out any posts by Aaron Bockneck. When I first got my Tri-cabin and joined the Forum, Aaron sought me out and we spoke regularly after that up until his passing. His advice was priceless and his knowledge of the Tri-cabin was unsurpassed.

I hope you find a good one. Not many on the market these days.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin