Wood finish examples (part 1)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Wood finish examples (part 1)

Post by captainmaniac »

**UPDATED this old post from 2010 to embed the pictures in the post itself, instead of Photobucket links.

Wood Finish examples (part 2) is here https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... =1&t=12738

There were a few threads in the past re wood refinishing options - Varnish, Cetol, Cetol light, etc... so though I would post a few pics now that I have some of my winter/spring jobs done. I am also lazy, so instead of finding the old posts and reviving them, I am just gonna start a new one.

Here are some pics of some samples.... All wood is teak unless otherwise stated.

Cetol - Used on 'boarding strips' and swim platform, speaker box and VHF box

7c2b8280.jpg
7c2b8280.jpg (72.72 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
66b417bc.jpg
66b417bc.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
1f9f6ad0.jpg
1f9f6ad0.jpg (89.24 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
cda3ce00.jpg
cda3ce00.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
c2976f09.jpg
c2976f09.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
  • Boarding strips had 4-5 coats previously and went 4 years without needing maintenance. This winter I stripped to bare wood and reapplied 5 coats Cetol Marine. Here is the 'after'. Will give it a week to cure before reinstalling.
  • Platform also had about 4 coats previously and went 4 years without maintenance. Last fall I sanded (light to medium sanding job) and applied 3 more coats. It looks better in real life than in the pic -- not very good lighting it the shed.
  • Speaker box and VHF box got 4 coats about 7 years ago, still doing fine. This is Cetol over OAK. They are on the fly bridge and generally protected from the elements (because of the canvas). They do get UV exposure whenever the cover is off.
Cetol Gloss - Pulpit

8a8433cb.jpg
8a8433cb.jpg (94.72 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
IMG_5257_zpsiwpb1af9.jpg
IMG_5257_zpsiwpb1af9.jpg (83.75 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
  • 2 coats Cetol followed by 3 coats Cetol Gloss previously applied lasted 3 years without maintenance. Last fall the gloss wasn't all that glossy anymore... so I did a light sanding and applied 3 more coats gloss. The pic is a bit fuzzy because the camera wasn't happy taking the pic on one of our colder days this winter.... but you can still get the idea of the colour level and sheen.

Splitting Varnish out into new posts because forum will only allow 7 images per post.
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

love, love, love the pulpit. Going to refinishing mine in the next several weeks, will try your method of covering cetol with multiple coats of gloss cetol. Looks awesome.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Thanks! Cetol Gloss instructions tell you to apply it over top of one of their other products - you are not supposed to just apply it by itself to raw wood. I think that's because the regular products absorb into the wood to really seal it, while the Gloss just sits on top. By picking either regular Cetol or Cetol Light for the base coats, you can control how light / dark (or transparent / opaque) you go, so how much grain you have showing through. I think they recommend 2 coats of Cetol / Cetol Light followed by 3 coats Gloss.

Oh yeah - one other difference that I forgot to mention in the first post - Gloss can get slippery when wet, while the other Cetol products do not. So.... need to be careful where you use Gloss (that's why I only used it on the pulpit where we never stand, but stuck with regular Cetol on the swim platform and boarding strips).

Good luck !
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Peter - don't know if you are still following this thread, but thought I would post the official 'after' picture now that I am floating and out in the sunshine!

8a8433cb.jpg
8a8433cb.jpg (94.72 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

WOW!
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

Still here...haven't felt like posting since being abused on pontifications. Anyway thanks for the photo,really really looks nice.May do mine next week if the weather holds...
Last edited by Peter on Mon May 31, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please insert acceptable political or boating statement here...or not... I really don't give a crap....
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Epifanes makes a clear varnish . I belive they make the best out there. this you do sand between coats , I don't know about there "clear coat"
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Epifanes also has a 'no sand' varnish - Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss, that I used for interior (on the wheel) - see my original post.