How to pull my Chrysler 400's from F36 Salon

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

pwollsch

How to pull my Chrysler 400's from F36 Salon

Post by pwollsch »

I'm going to rebuild my twin 1974 Chrysler M400s and am looking for examples of how to get them out of the salon.

My boat is stored inside a building with access by say a fork truck. I need to get them out of he salon and out to the cockpit for hoisting out while the bots is blocked up in storage.

I have ideas of a-frame and come a longs etc.. Figured one of you guys have a link or two to share?
1072 14 ft Meijers - Sears outboard
1990 17 ft Sea Nymph - 70 Johnson
1992 17 Tracker Deep-V - 40 Yamaha (still own)
1987 266 Cruisers Inc - 460 King Cobra
1974 F36 Trojan - Twin Crysler M400
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: How to pull my Chrysler 400's from F36 Salon

Post by prowlersfish »

Most the time I would use a fork lift with forks that will reach through the door or a boom truck .this is depending what the yard has . A fork lift used for lifting boats works well and will reach . No need to pre lift it with a A-Frame . A chain fall /come a long on the fork lift is helpful
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

prowlersfish wrote:Most the time I would use a fork lift with forks that will reach through the door or a boom truck .this is depending what the yard has . A fork lift used for lifting boats works well and will reach . No need to pre lift it with a A-Frame . A chain fall /come a long on the fork lift is helpful
+1 on what prowlerfish says, but don't stop at your cockpit. Once you have the engines off the stringers take them all the way out. Make sure everyone knows the plan.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Agree with the above. Remove the salon doors. Head room gets used up quickly so keep everything as short as possible so there is room between the floor and the door header to bring everything through such as forks, chain fall, engine lift chain, engine, etc.

I made an A frame out of wood to do this on an F36 once, worked great. Used 2x6. Made a ramp system with same for rolling sideways and out the door. After lifted and out on aft deck, a couple of 2x6 pieces went under the engine and secured to the A frame, then lifted the A frame and engine together out of the boat.

Have also stripped engines down to the blocks, used an old prop shaft and a couple of strong buddies to pull the blocks out of the hole and out the door. A chain to the engine and around the shaft is all you need, shaft over the shoulders and away you go. I use this method for generators all the time too.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I repowered our F-32 a couple of years ago and pulling and replacing the engines is actually quite easy, I was still in the water so here was my process.

while in the slip, I removed all of the bolt on components, which you should do to make sure that the engines will fit out of the slider.
I had motor mounts & shaft couplings loose and the shaft pushed back a few inches so the engine could be lifted. Everything was free from the engine.

I covered the aft deck with inexpensive 3/4 plywood and cut a couple of pieces to fit through the door.

I then made an A frame arrangement with a cross beam out of 2X4's and a 4 X6 that spanned the engine compartment hatches.
I I rigged the engine and used a hoist to lift the engine until the oil pan cleared the height of the floor, I slid the hatch back in place and then slid heavy duty furniture dolly under the engine, I lowered the engine onto the dolly, We then simply rolled the engine onto the aft deck, using the plywood pieces as a ramp over the sliding door threshold, the theory of the plywood on the aft deck was to spread the load and protect the deck. Once on the deck, we used the hoist at our club to lift out of the boat. I simply reversed this to install.

Once everything is free, it literally took about an hour and a half to tow the boat to the hoist, pull the engines and tow the boat back to the slip.

here are some photos

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Ive pulled motors and removed my generator but never bothered building an A frame. I dont think id trust my carpentry skills anyway, I always open the windows and run a beam through. I have it raised to the top of the windows by blocks/jack stands on the gunwales and beam through the windows. Very strong and safe, ive used a chain fall, now I have a electric come along I pulled my genny out with, drop it on another board or beam and slid it out the back door. Nice and easy and no worries about a sloppy machine operator or paying for their time. I may have a picture from pulling the generator out of my current boat, the motors were a previous F32. The old motor came out without manifolds risors etc, I installed a complete motor with manifolds and everything, it just fit through the slider. Once on the rear deck the motors were pulled off/put back with a forklift over a winter layup. The boat was in the water for the generator removal and my local marina has a crane that i hired at $100hr with a one hour minumum to remove the genny off the cockpit and place in my truck (5 minuets) I had my hard top removed at the same time to be able to go down the road for winter storage so their really wasnt any added expense. That generator may or may not go back in, the Honda is holding its own.

pwollsch

Post by pwollsch »

Excellent info and pics!! Thanks.

I plan to do an A frame and cart. I'm leaving exhaust manifolds on. Will just fit.

I'll report back.
1072 14 ft Meijers - Sears outboard
1990 17 ft Sea Nymph - 70 Johnson
1992 17 Tracker Deep-V - 40 Yamaha (still own)
1987 266 Cruisers Inc - 460 King Cobra
1974 F36 Trojan - Twin Crysler M400