1984 Trojan F32 engine replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Firehouse

1984 Trojan F32 engine replacement

Post by Firehouse »

My port Chrysler 360 engine had the piston hitting the spark plugs. It actually broke the center ceramic part of the plugs (5) plugs were smashed. I compression tested the motor and it was deemed the motor needs to be replaced. Has anyone replaced a engine and does the salon glass need to be removed. Trying to figure the best way to accomplish the engine replacement.

Thanks for your help
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1984 Trojan F32 engine replacement

Post by prowlersfish »

No need to remove the glass it will come thru the door . I normally use a fork lift with a long reach like the use for lifting boats . Some marinas have boom trucks that will work . There are other ways too .

Here is a recent thread on the same question on a F36

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... f=1&t=9610
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Ive changed a couple on F32's without removing the glass. I simply ran a beam through the aft windows with a chain fall, pulled her out, lowered on a board and pushed it to the cockpit area where a marina grabbed it with a crane
Firehouse

Post by Firehouse »

Did you remove the studs that the risers bolt up to? and if so do they thread standard clockwise for tightening
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Firehouse wrote:Did you remove the studs that the risers bolt up to? and if so do they thread standard clockwise for tightening
All threads would right hand .

Let me add there are several ways to remove the engines , It all depends on what equipment you or your boat yard has . I also leave as much as I can on the engines when I pull them as its easier to remove parts out of the boat . With that said if you have to man handle it out the door lighter is better .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I replaced my engines last spring. Removed the sliding portion of the salon door and out they came. Manifolds and all, with transmissions.

I have the Chevy 350's and they are wider than your 360's, valve cover to valve cover (outside) so you should have no problem.
The 360 should be about 20 inches and Chevy is about 22 inches wide. Edit-I just measure a pair I have in the shop and they're less than 22 inches. Go figure...:-)

Crane it through the doors out over the cockpit. Good luck!
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!