Gas smell from tank vents? F36

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

sealilly

Gas smell from tank vents? F36

Post by sealilly »

Anyone else experience a smell of fuel from the gas tanks vents when returning from boating? I know my tanks are mounted next to the engines and wonder if they are heating up the fuel? I have just noticed this lately, and my tanks are down to about 1/4 full.
I have no leaks i can find, no smell in bilge areas or cabin, and can only smell it when sitting out in cockpit after returning to dock. Both side vents are heavy gas smell and they will be gone after a couple hours.
Thanks all.
mintregila

Post by mintregila »

Yes, I have experienced the same thing and I also believe that the close proximity of the engines to the tanks heats and expands the fuel. That is why I never filled up before putting the boat away. If the tanks were full, the fuel would warm up and expand and then weep out of the vents.
Mark I.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Not filling ...

Post by rossjo »

The down side of not keeping the tanks fulls is ondesnstion for the large volume of air (with some % of humity) that condenses from heating in the day and colling at night. This will indiuce moisture into your fuel and tanks and create rust and running problems due to fuel uality. Stabil (or similar) willhelp, but the rust issue still remains. Always pros/cons to every decision, eh?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

Good info on fuel tank condensation

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_cond ... _tanks.htm
sealilly

anyone else getting the smell?

Post by sealilly »

Thanks all for the responses. I always put boat away with full tanks for condensation, this is a little differant, after boat is running an hour or more, when i return to dock i get strong gas smell from gas tank vents. I was just wondering if others have had the same thing.
Thanks