1973 Trojan Sea Raider - Exterior Seems/Cracks/Seals

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zevdelrio

1973 Trojan Sea Raider - Exterior Seems/Cracks/Seals

Post by zevdelrio »

Hello everyone!

I am very appreciative of this forum as I am planning to purchase my first Trojan, a 1973 F26 Sea Raider! While the boat appears to be in very good condition, there are a couple trouble spots on the exterior of the aft cabin around the windows, as well as over the windows in the front cabin that appear to be 'pealing away?'

*PLEASE SEE ATTACHE PICTURES*

Can you tell me if these were former repair jobs, or simply areas that need fiberglass repair? The hull is fiberglass but its evident there are some wood features around the cockpit, just not sure these areas in the photos are fiberglass?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
Attachments
IMG_8291.jpg
IMG_8291.jpg (46.01 KiB) Viewed 6540 times
IMG_8289.jpg
IMG_8289.jpg (39.63 KiB) Viewed 6540 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1973 Trojan Sea Raider - Exterior Seems/Cracks/Seals

Post by prowlersfish »

I know the top side were wood not sure if they covered them and if so what with , Owens used canvas , Someone will know . Bob ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

The Sea Raiders were half breeds. Hull was fiberglass and the top was wood.
What salon top and hard top were covered in what is called “cabin top” Which is a white canvis/fabric which was glued to the wood.
From your pictures it looks like “cabin top” with 50 years of paint on it.

Let me check to see if we have any at the wearhouse.

Bob
Beacon Marine
609 713 4602
Attachments
9DD4CA0D-4FF3-49DC-A2CF-CBF0C5B05A9E.jpeg
9DD4CA0D-4FF3-49DC-A2CF-CBF0C5B05A9E.jpeg (105.7 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
zevdelrio

Post by zevdelrio »

Bob, thank you very much for the prompt reply, great insight!

Please let me know if you have any in stock, and I will be sure to put an order in. If ok, I may drop you a line this week.

Appreciate that great catalog shot, that’s the one!

Regards,

Jordan
zevdelrio

Post by zevdelrio »

Forgot to ask, but the boat I’m interested in doesn’t have that hard top. Are they available to purchase or fabricate anywhere?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

No... Boat was either built as an 'express' (windshield but only a canvas top), hard top, or fly bridge model (hardtop with 2nd steering station on top of it). There are after market places you can approach to have a hard top built for you, but will likely be a fiberglass or plastic molded structure. Google "marine hard tops". I think there are a handful of people on the forum who have added a hardtop to an express or put one over a flybridge or aft deck so you may find some info from searching on the forum too.

Re the vinyl repair -- years ago (MANY years ago!!!) my parents replaced the vinyl on our hardtop (1969 Trojan Sea Skiff, 28', similar to what you are looking at but wooden lapstrake hull, but similar construction above deck) - I was about 14 but I helped :) . Top had rotted plywood and side boards, so we had to remove vinyl from hardtop to replace the bad wood. Vinyl was so dried out it cracked on removal, so couldn't be reused. Ended up custom cutting / stapling on new piece of marine vinyl - just like upholstery repair of chair or couch. If Bob can't supply you with 'official' product, you may be able to find a chandlery or marine upholstery shop that would sell you a chunk of vinyl big enough for the job, that you could custom cut / shape if needed (make sure to use SS staples, or better!). Current stuff may not stand up to the elements like the old stuff did, but then again the old stuff has been on there for 45+ years!
zevdelrio

Post by zevdelrio »

Great background on the varying hard top options. As long as a new one can be fabricated and appropriately added to the current frame without compromising on its classic lines, that would be great. I will post what and or if I discover anything that hits all those notes.

Thank you for reaching back into the memory bank! So the old vinyl can be stripped, wood beneath cleaned up, then new vinyl stretched and stapled? I don't ever want to oversimplify things, but that doesn't sound too bad. I hope i can make the new vinyl flush with the pre-existing areas that are still in OK shape. Can new vinyl be painted, or does it simply remain the color its applied in?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

We did the hard top, you are trying to do the cabin top ... there are likely more wrinkles to deal with that as the vinyl may have been laid before the window frames were fastened on top.... On ours the staples were essentially under the drip trim. I know some paint the vinyl, but usually just to try and improve looks after it starts failing or discolouring. I would think you would use whatever colour vinyl you want, and just make sure it gets treated with water repellent or whatever the manufacturer recommends.
kmc

Post by kmc »

I know this is an older thread, but I just joined and wondered if the OP resolved the issue.

I had a 73 25' Sea Raider and rebuilt it years ago. The covering on the top of the cabin was Nautilux fabric over a plywood base.

If the OP is still around (or someone else with a similar boat), I might still have sections of the aluminum trim around the windows. When I redid mine I removed it all carefully as I thought i was going to reuse it, but never did. PM me if interested, it'd be free - you'd just have to pick up or pay shipping.