Wood

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Bill, now that's harsh! Of course, you could be discribing ANY boat!!
AuxiliaryComms

Post by AuxiliaryComms »

Out of curiosity. All the instructions I've seen for wood boats nowadays, Glen-L and the like, typically end with coating the hull with epoxy or even a layer or two of glass.

Would this alleviate a lot of the maintenance issues on the hull?
Jason

1969 Sea Raider FG Express (Flickr Set)

Join the USCG Auxiliary, America's Volunteer Lifesavers
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

Your right, the cost of insuring a wooden boat is high. The premium for my woody was 50% higher then the premium for my F36, even though the woody was upraised for less, but they were with different companies. I didn't want to question the rate for fear they might want a current survey or drop me. When I inquired with other companies they wanted a current survey. The cost of the survey made changing companies cost prohibitive. I just bit the bullet and paid the premiums, but I had insurance. Chicago harbors require proof of insurance be for issuing the harbor permit sticker.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

The epoxy coating on a hull gets damaged easy, bump the dock a few times. Fiberglass overlay was and is common but it does delaminate in time and condensation gets in between the glass and the wood, not to mention bilge water getting through, result,,, rot. I have restored several wood boats in the past and I loved them all. Would I do it again? NO. Twenty years ago there was a big percentage of wood boats in every marina and they were easy to insure and marine stores were suppling everything needed for wood boats. Today, not so, like the other guys said if you can afford the insurance will you be able to find a marina that will let you stay. There is still enough wood maintenance projects on a glass hulled boat to keep a person happy and busy. But if you really really really love them then nothing else will take there place. The creeking of a wood boat is special just like the slap that grandmas screen door used to make when it closed.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

AuxiliaryComms wrote:Out of curiosity. All the instructions I've seen for wood boats nowadays, Glen-L and the like, typically end with coating the hull with epoxy or even a layer or two of glass.

No, That is about the worst thing you can do to a wood boat. When a woonen boat is first launched, it must soak. As water is absorbed the wood expands and seals the joints, and the hull becomes water tight. Glassing the hull traps water between the wood hull and glass hull. The wood hull flexes , the fiberglass breaks away and you wind up loose spots all over the boat. Once the water is traped the rot begins.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

gjrylands wrote:
AuxiliaryComms wrote:Out of curiosity. All the instructions I've seen for wood boats nowadays, Glen-L and the like, typically end with coating the hull with epoxy or even a layer or two of glass.

No, That is about the worst thing you can do to a wood boat. When a woonen boat is first launched, it must soak. As water is absorbed the wood expands and seals the joints, and the hull becomes water tight. Glassing the hull traps water between the wood hull and glass hull. The wood hull flexes , the fiberglass breaks away and you wind up loose spots all over the boat. Once the water is traped the rot begins.

When the boat is first built there in nothing wrong with glassing it . many of the fineist boats are done that way . they are sealed inside and out . They call this" Cold molded" you can't do it that way after it is built . Most boats that are glassed later on are done as hull is starting to have proplems . more like a patch then a repair ! I walk away from a nice Sport fish a few months ago they said it was cold molded . It was not it was glassed over a few years ago . I wound what the glass was hideing ???
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

paul, say it isn't so..... don't give up your f-36!!!
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Safari

Post by Safari »

The last wood boat I had (38 ft Chris), I impregnated the hull with CPES epoxy. I had to remove every trace of old paint first, repair and replace some wood - it took me and wife 2 years on the hard working on it every spare minute. The expense was staggering (that does not include the doctor's bills), but it was definitely the best thing we ever did. After epoxy primer, I overcoated with Interlux Toplac. After 3 years, that paint still looked like new. That was only one project.......
Bill

1986 F36 Crusader 454s
wvorris@hotmail.com