Previous Owners (how many can relate)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

alexander38 what SURVEYOR did you use ? ( if you don't want to post pm me ) some of the those things I can under stand him not finding like the windlass issue . But there is no excusse for not checking the thru huls and valves . This sould be #1 on his list along with the blower .

A surveyor can not find every issue like the frozen pacing nut or fuel gage thats not right , you can't expect him to . but some of the other stuff there in no excusse none!

I am in the same area is why I asked the name so when asked what surveyor to use I will recc them .and will not use them my self . or use them when I sell,LOL
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I was really fortunate and had a great surveyor.

I had one for the engines and one for the boat itself. The engine surveyor did a compression test on both engines and genset and we installed new spark plugs in the prosess.

The boat surveyor did a great job. While he did miss a few items I discovered later, here the initial list of items needing attention if I was to buy this boat, complied from his results.

I modifyed this list and used it to negotiate a great price concession from the seller:

repair air conditioner - not functioning
all hoses below waterline double clamped
bilge pump not secure or operational - repair
EACH & EVERY seacocks/through hull fitting replaced & leaking fiberglass repaired
repair stringer/mounting area, by starboard front engine mount (could be just the block)
fuel tank bonding wires re-attached
generator inoperative & frequency set to specifications
install both bearings for both rudders
install new depth guage provided by buyer
install nuts, flat washers and lock washers on strut backing plates
one dissimilar battery - replace (should be all gel type but not mixed)
propeler stuffing boxes leaking excessively - repair
provide copies of ALL service records, repairs & receipts
Re-certify fire extinguishers
repair exhaust leak at intake manifold - port engine
ALL navagational lights to be in working order
repair/replace- galley fan - inoperative
replace ALL cutlass bearings
replace ALL zincs
replace driveshaft coupling bolts with bolts of correct legnth
replace starter solenoid (corrosion) - starboard engine
Starboard alternator charging intermittrent (poss bad connection?)
repair / replace port windows - leaking
vessel orientation from seller to buyer
replace all aged hoses & clamps
install carbon monoxide/smoke detector
complete & test central bonding system
replace bent Danforth Anchor on bow
disconnected wires removed
bad GFCI Outlet in head - replace
in date flares to be aboard
install engine alarms
install horn type bilge alarm
repair Loose fiberglass tabbing under fwd bunk
provide replacement depth guage to be installed by seller
rebuild raw water pump
recondition exhaust elbows/collectors
repair 40-50 bottom blisters ito 1st 2 layers of laminate
repair/replace - horn - inoperative
repair/replace - synchronizer - inoperative
repair/replace - windshield wipers - inoperative
repair/replace compass - fluid leak - less than 1/2 full but still operates
repair/replace fuel guage - inoperative
repair/replace microwave oven - inoperative
replace all engine pulleys - rusty and wearing out belts quickly
replace all motor mount blocks - cracked
replace exhaust hose clamps
replace exhaust risers
replace fresh water hoses & clamps
replace fuel lines
repair water leak above port salon window - probably bowrail base mounting leak
replace genset fuel, intake & exhaust lines
replace missing raw water washdown pump
replace raw water hoses & clamps
replace raw water pump impellers
replace swim platform clamps
secure all fuel hoses on the run to the engine
secure all water strainers, pumps, etc in engine compartment
sink drain missing hose clamp
replace wood partition aft of engines - rotted (between engine compartment & lazarette
provide certified surveyor to discuss/confirm repairs
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

i know they can't find every thing that's wrong, but from what i've found on alot sites these guys have turned in to ticket punchers for brokers. just like home inspectors did before the govt. stepped in on them. i don't want the same thing to happen to boating but we've got learn our boats better before we buy and then be able to to point out what's wrong and we want it in the report. i know in 5 yrs we i buy again i will. lessen learned :wink:
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

It amazes me how supposedly "experienced" boat owners will do the stupidest things to their boats. When we purchased "Blue Heron" in 1999 I thought it was it great shape. Then I started finding things that just didn't make sense - lamp cord wiring spliced with electrical tape, automotive stereo and speakers. a rats nest of wiring adds not even coming off the fuse panel, but direct wired to the batteries (again using lamp cord). The interior was pristine as was the surface exterior....oh so shiney and smelling nice. Since that time I've replaced all the wiring and electrical with marine-grade and updated the mechanicals and electonics to present-day equipment. Just about everything I've done has been a result of contacting the folks on this forum.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

After reading through these posts, I am feeling very fortunate. When I purchased my F30 "Time Warp" 2 years ago I knew very little (read "nothing") about big boats. I have had several smaller boats in the 15-23 foot range, outboards and I/O's. The person I purchased my F30 from had just finished a 5 year refit. He had a 3 inch stack of receipts and a 6 month old survey done by a surveyor known to be very good. I didn't have the boat resurveyed and bought it on faith........lucky for me my boat ended up being everything I thought it was....he did everything first class. In 2 years I have found nothing he did that wasn't correct..............I love my Trojan and plan on having it for many more years...............John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Got my fair share of things Like:
Wiring with extension cords (This really irratates me)

Wiring with Electrical tape instead of shrink wrap and solder or junction connectors

Wiring three sets of wires to one recepticle without a junction box

Adding MANY extra accessories to one breaker and grossly over powering it. ( I will have the Beldge lights on and turn on the Wheel house light and the breaker blows.) :roll:

Cutting 12v wires and leaving them hanging without labels for what they are or what they were for

Removing the Waste pumps and replacing them with dual Jabsco water pumps for my Sanitary systems (This actually works well) :lol:

Letting the Shower pump die and just let it overflow into the Belge for the Beldge pump to take care of.

The List goes on and on.....

I am correcting the incorrect rigging, one by one, the most dangerous coming first of course.

Survey would have been good, but I knew what I was getting into, it just still boggles my mind when i find new things that have been rigged and barely holding on to functionality. It's just funny/commical
79' Carver 28' Mariner
I want another Trojan, preferably a Tri Cabin
Dan Faith
Sporadic User

Post by Dan Faith »

HeyMac, I think we had the same previous owner. Took my compass out to do some work and masking tape on the connection---by the way what is the correct knot for an electical connection? Do they give all new boat owners a drill? Every where you look is a hole add a new piece of equip --drill a hole never use and existing hole. Not my first boat but as you say the same situations boat to boat. Even a good surveyor can't take everything apart to inspect.
Dan Faith
Toy Box

Trojan F32
Trojan 30' sport fisherman
Sea Ray 17'
Beach Craft Bonanza N35
Corvette
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

all this depends on what you want to pay for the boat,
if your paying top dollar and you want a turn key boat, your going to pay top dollar and get a survey and have all that checked

if you want to get a boat for next to nothing you have to expect the opening statement in this thread ,
1983 10 meter express
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

Number one on our list: the previous owner used Pinesol as a deodorizer for the Vacuflush system. :( We had to replace all the hoses, the vacuum tank, and the holding tank to get rid of the smell. The Pinesol either impregnated or ate through the components. Grrrr!

Nancy
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Nancy wrote:Number one on our list: the previous owner used Pinesol as a deodorizer for the Vacuflush system. :( We had to replace all the hoses, the vacuum tank, and the holding tank to get rid of the smell. The Pinesol either impregnated or ate through the components. Grrrr!

Nancy
Wow! now that's a stupid owner... :lol:
79' Carver 28' Mariner
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

[quote="MikeAstringer"] My biggest issue is that I am not a mechanic and do not understand the first thing about making repairs to this boat myself. [quote]

Yea, havign an old boat or a boat in general, but especially an old boat, it is almost necessary to have mechanical skills or pay dearly through the nose for repairs.

I would assume you have learned a little bit since you have had it and can repair the things that have broken before or at least head off the problem before it becomes too large.

"Necessity is the mother of invention" they say Necessity is also the mother of mechanics as well. LOL!
79' Carver 28' Mariner